Re: (TFT) Where are those darn gnomes hiding?

Rick,
No, I wasn't trying to say "my way is better" with that question on the Mec
hanicker skill, rather I was "thinking out loud" about what might be a bit
less "automatic," but if that's a feature of the race in the game, then by
all means, carry on...  :-)

I can see that an MA of 7 and a ST of 9 or less would be a problem, and the
 other things (armor, extra hit in combat/HTH combat, and specialized weapo
ns) would compensate for it.  I was just sort of wondering if the free
 Skill might be a bit too much of a good thing.  Still, if you've been
 doing it this way for years or something, that would certainly seem to ans
wer the "playtested" question with regard to those abilities.
I like your "special power for specific races" idea -- it's novel and intri
guing, but I think I like the part where you can save up XP to do it a litt
le better than subtracting existing attribute points for it for some reason
.  Maybe I'm just having a problem seeing how learning to talk with Ra
vens might suddenly lower your ST.  My logical brain just isn't seeing
 the connection from what you've provided in the power descriptions, but ma
ybe there's background info ("players' guide" sort of stuff) that would mak
e that easier for me to understand were I to play in the actual campaign.
  However, as a casual outside observer, it somehow makes more sense t
o me that you would devote XP to "learning" the new power much like you wou
ld to acquire any other Talent or ability; as opposed to suddenly dropping
points to do it sort of "retroactively."  By burning XP normally, you'
d be making an active choice to study that special ability rather than buil
d muscle mass, learn a new language, learn to fence, or pick up a new Spell
 or three.  However, having said all of that, I'm not actually playing
 in that game, and it may all make perfect sense in the context of the GM's
 fantasy world, so please don't take this as another "my idea is better com
ment" -- I'm just seeing this for the first time and am trying to get my he
ad around it...  ;-)
v/r,Jeff