Re: (TFT) At last, Environmental Magics in TFT.

I like this a lot - they probably are better from the GM's perspective than the players', but I can also see an ingenious player putting these to good use.

Here are my quibbles and questions:

- I have a philosophical problem with IQ7 spells, in general. Magic is supposed to be hard, and IQ7, in real world terms, is what they used to call "retarded", and now refer to by some more politically correct term like "learning disability". If you're intellectually challenged to the point where you can't even learn to read, then sorry, no spells for you. Maybe as a GM, you want your less intelligent races to be able to cast spells, but personally I'd rather handle that by giving them intrinsic magical abilities that don't have to be learned.

- Most times, doubling fST cost doubles radius (thus quadrupling area of effect), but with Shape Growth, doubling fST doubles *area*. Is this intentional? If so, why is this particular spell different?

- The Quietude categories only make sense from a game-mechanics perspective. Why would a spell differentiate between an arrow shot from a bow, and a spear thrown from a hand? Why would it differentiate between a dagger and a claw, or a club and a fist? I'd probably have just two Quietude spells: one for melee/unarmed attacks, one for thrown/missile weapons. Then a separate spell that vastly weakens missile spells passing through its area of effect, or causes them to fizzle entirely. Also in the Quietude spell description: " Each doubling of the cost doubles the radius. Each doubling of the cost increases by one, the amount of protection given. So x4 cost would stop 3 hits, and x16 cost would stop 5 hits." So if you double the base 1-minute cost, spending 20 fST on the spell, does it cover a radius of 12 MH, AND stop 2 points of damage, or do you have to choose? What if you want it to be radius 6 MH but stop 4 points of damage?

- If I ran a campaign with Tindempt's Hex, I'd probably describe it as arcing electrical currents dancing over the wizard's skin, doing damage, just because it's a cool image and seems less random somehow than an invisible giant hammer. 1 die of damage, doesn't increase or decrease (less record-keeping), cloth and leather armor protects, as do Stone/Iron Flesh, metal armor and Spell Shield don't.

One thing I expected to see, and didn't, is a "zone of sleep", which would make any character sitting still/lying down very likely to accidentally fall asleep, and once asleep, very difficult to wake up. Wouldn't affect combat, but if someone made camp there... A neat trap for GM's to set, but I can also see players getting good use out of it, by casting it on a sentry post they know they'll have to sneak past later.

- Meg

P.S. In the description for the zone of lingering, you mention a "torturing table", implying you've got detailed rules for torturing information out of characters?!