Re: (TFT) a survey of Melee and Wizard editions

I have this same kind of issue over at the Heroscape board.

When it comes to creating new, custom cards for Heroscape that site is
overrun with what I call the "tournament legal style" of customs
creation. Every little detail, from wording to comma placement, is
hashed over repeatedly. There are currently two main groups that design
these types of cards, and they've created hundreds of them. Personally I
find that the figures and squads they create tend to be over complicated
and, quite frankly, soulless. I'll call them "rules gamey" if that makes
any sense.

On the other hand the superhero custom cards that I've been creating
still fit into the rules of the game, but are much easier to understand
and, in my opinion, better capture the personality and theme of a
particular superhero. I've been told my cards are dripping with theme.
However, because of that the vast majority of the people on that site
have dubbed my customs to be "casual play" cards. Which means that they
are interesting, but not to be taken seriously.

I get the impression the same kind of conversation is happening here.

Without being inflammatory - it seems to boil down to the analytical
math nerds vs the creative geeks. (And just so you'll know I have many
friends who fall into both camps! Nothing wrong with these broad
classifications.) Over the years I've seen this difference in gaming
style happen in so many types of games that I've often asked myself if
I'm even playing the same game as the person sitting across the table
from me. So much in fact that lately I've been asking my Heroscape
friends if they consider that game to be A.) a board game (analytical),
or B.) a miniature combat game (creative). How they answer that question
speaks volumes to me as to their preferred style of play. Perhaps a
similar question could be asked of TFT.

Applying all of this to TFT I personally tend to sit in both camps. For
the past few years I've been calling TFT an RPBG. That stands for "Role
Playing Board Game". You tell a story (the RPG part), and you resolve
conflict or battles using (basically) a board game. My creative side
comes out when running the RPG side of the game. My analytical side
comes out when playing out the combat side of the game.

And I really feel that TFT strikes such a great balance between both of
these sides. While it does accommodate players that are heavy on one
side or the other (analytical, or creative), in all honestly, the game
really shines when you can strike a balance between the two. But, if you
only stay on one side of the fence with TFT I feel you might be missing
the really cool, total experience that this game has to offer. An
experience that is so lacking in most games on the market these days.

(On a personal note I also enjoy bringing TFT into a 3 dimensional
gaming experience, using not only figures but custom terrain as well. I
know this isn't for everyone but I get a lot of fun out of this aspect
of our hobby. Another way to be creative with this game.)

As a side note it's really been interesting to watch the hobby attempt
to create something similar to a RPBG with games such as "Descent" and
many others. All of these, in my book, have failed. But all of us have
already been playing that type of game now for over 30 years. TFT is a
high standard that I hold all these other wannabe games to.

Anyway, just some rambling thoughts from a tired, over worked artist.

David
David O. Miller
Miller Design/Illustration
www.davidomiller.com

2 Dean Court
East Northport, NY 11731
(631) 266-6875

Board game? Miniature combat game? RPG? Simulation vs realism? Rules vs
creative play?

On Mar 16, 2016, at 2:45 PM, Jeffrey Vandine <jlv61560@yahoo.com> wrote:

> This particular exchange raises an interesting point. To my mind (and
I sin