Re: Armour Talents - Being hard to hit in awkward armor

Hi all, Tom, Martin.

Tom:
I've been hearing a lot of 'armor does not lower your DX,
you can do gymnastics in armor', stuff.  Glad to hear from
you because it confirms by biases!!!

;-P

More seriously, I suspect that the DX penalties in TFT may
be too high to be realistic.  But I'm not going to worry about
it.  In real life, people will take the optimum armor.  In TFT I
want there to be tradeoffs, so that better armor has a higher
cost.

One of Steven Colbert's words of the day was "Truthiness".
This is not the truth, but it is a lie that is designed to sound
truthy.   "Realitiness", is what I aim for in my TFT rules.  Not
reality, but something that seems Reality-ish.

Martin:
A person who fought a lot in the SCA was telling me that the
main advantage of a shield in melee combat was that it was
much harder to hit you.  So I made a talent (Shield Three)
which gave people a –3 DX when they tried to attack you
thru your shield.

This worked fine.  It is a useful talent, and several players
have taken it.  But giving people negatives to hit you, should
be done with care.  It slows up the game, is easy to forget &
adds a calculation to every swing.

A little bit of this sort of thing is fine, but I think it should not be
a default thing.  (In fact, this ability used to be in Shield Two,
and I eventually moved it to Shield Three to make it rarer and
more difficult to get.)

My rules give several ways to boost damage stopping power,
but you have to be GOOD, before I start giving out negatives
to hit you.

Warm regards, Rick.