Re: Rick's comments on the Defend Option

Peter hits on two of the problems.

1. Defend is universal so it doesn't matter if my DX is 8 or 14 the benefit is the same.  Now for game play I am willing to give up some reality for game play.  But in this case someone with a 14 DX should be able to defend better than a low DX person.

2. Once you hit a certain DX defend is worthless because he would have to roll an auto miss whether you are defending or not.  This isn't how it works in real life, yes as Neil says you can hit a newb every time, once a person is some what skilled they can parry or slow you down.  A real life example: Duels with rapiers often took up to 5 minutes to get to first blood. This is partly because their real lives were on the line and no one likes to die, but also good duelist would take the time to set things up.  Beat feint attack, see reaction then beat feint attack to another line again see reaction.  Unless someone just berzerk's it a duel can last a long time.

Again this is a game so our character's will jump out and hack it out with all comers.  In many a battle or duel in real life they were drunk as a skunk before the combat started.

So I think Defend is underpowered, but I am not smart enough to fix it.  I did add the talent Advanced Fencing which allowed for Scaramouche type characters.  It is posted over on Steve Jackson's website if you're interested.

    Edward Kroeten
7100 Stevenson Blvd Ste 105
Fremont, CA 94538-2485
License # 0E82876