Re: Defend Option - More discussion.

I know, but taking that into account just makes it more clear how different the retreat situation is. In TFT, because of the turn sequence and Engagement system, it's a big deal to disengage and retreat one hex. The proposed rule is adding a new way to do that, which takes TWO five-second turns.

Compare to GURPS, where because each figure moves and attacks as its action, there is no need for engagement rules, and figures can about quite a bit, even in reaction to other characters' moves and attacks. So instead of taking 5 or 10 seconds to be allowed to be allowed to step back one hex, characters can move about while fighting and defending, and may often move a hex toward and later a hex away from a foe almost every turn.

I was mentioning that to say that my expectations about how hard it is to back away from a combat have changed a lot, and so getting to retreat one hex after two 5-second turns struck me as rather limited.

In my TFT house rules, for example, I say you can move to violate disengagement, but it gives your opponent a free attack against you. So you could defend and move away at half MA during the Movement Phase, but your opponents would get a free attack as you did so.