[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
Re: [Slope: Ch 11] Yet another idea on how to improve Defending
- To: The_slope@googlegroups.com
- Subject: Re: [Slope: Ch 11] Yet another idea on how to improve Defending
- From: Thomas Fulmer <email@example.com>
- Date: Tue, 15 May 2018 23:55:49 -0400
- Authentication-results: mail.brainiac.com; dkim=pass (2048-bit key) header.d=gmail.com firstname.lastname@example.org header.b="K3rQR6mr"
- Cc: Alec Morrison <email@example.com>, CJ <firstname.lastname@example.org>, Matt Fraser <email@example.com>, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=20161025; h=mime-version:references:in-reply-to:from:date:message-id:subject:to :cc; bh=TvxV0R8XHFaAG+7yQfRIwCHSBMHi9QjYzpOTIdlD5oM=; b=K3rQR6mraglRHFoXTNiMXQSDYpX2aGBMynqUFl5IGCzTgSrajw8/4MMheilBnc8TRG vxrDpxUeBp2Tjs4d5qt+WG2ZoHbH+DLNYUDyQ5LQDuI/9Eze2P2PN4q55oFE/sSx6m+l zb5Wsp5pnwPJiU5CJ3TVko5oXjaswyLadus5t2N7KRiYtlTHUkg7/0dZthfjNsRIYP/A WOh++9f+v97bNd9jj4IbXZQD4N5csPBuwYucmwuk/YXx5KQ1HkELPXbfD6eIpzDnUHqv Dax0/B5y6rBuR8wr7wyIKn+FXr+wglKeqVxYyd+6ztptKMTB5r1YwfE9n2ZMeXUobQi+ FwDA==
- In-reply-to: <7F2CC5D3-6318-478F-90F6-439CC12CC995@lightspeed.ca>
- References: <2674C17E-2284-4572-8125-C380CC64FD4A@lightspeed.ca> <457479817.1118499.1441305573489.JavaMail.email@example.com> <110E202A-0078-4D16-ABEB-2412D9D62FEC@lightspeed.ca> <7F2CC5D3-6318-478F-90F6-439CC12CC995@lightspeed.ca>
I like this proposal on first read. If I have time soon I'll give it more thorough thought. But unlike parry options, this favors lower attribute fighters over higher ones which is generally hard to achieve in a seemingly otherwise balanced mechanic.
I don't suppose it'll apply retroactively and restore 30% of our dead fighters? ^_^
In TFT, if you defend, the opponent rolls 4 dice. Triple damages
become impossible, (since you can’t roll a 3 on 4 dice), and the
chance of getting a double damage becomes almost impossible.
(Rolling a 5 (an automatic hit), is also very difficult on 4 dice.
The rules do NOT say that triples happen on 4 or 5, and double
damages happen on 6 or 7’s. (Normally, the chances of critical
successes and failures scale with the number of dice, but not
critical successes for defending or dodging.)
Now defending is a fine option against people with a 14 DX or less,
but for figures with very high DX, defending is a wasted action, you
defend (losing your action), and they will likely hit anyway.
My suggestion is that when you defend, 16 or higher rolls to hit you
STILL count as automatic misses.
The chance of a 16+ on 4 dice is, 33.56%
So if you defend, even against an opponent of very high DX, you
have about a 1/3 chance of getting an auto miss.
I was going to leave dropped weapons at 21 & 22, and broken
weapons at 23 & 24.
I am running a fight in my pbem game, and a bunch of the good guys
are defending vs. skilled opponents and I’m finding it is just a waste
Warm regards, Rick
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "The_Slope" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to The_slopefirstname.lastname@example.org.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.