Re: The USA inches (slightly) closer to the metric system.

Thanks Rick!

Though off-topic, it's very interesting to learn!

From: tft-owner@brainiac.com <tft-owner@brainiac.com> on behalf of Rick <rick_ww@lightspeed.ca>
Sent: Sunday, August 2, 2020 5:54 PM
To: The_slope@googlegroups.com <The_slope@googlegroups.com>; tft@brainiac.com <tft@brainiac.com>
Subject: The USA inches (slightly) closer to the metric system.

Hi all,
  Sorry for the off topic post, but this amused me.

  In the USA there are two different versions of the foot.
The international foot and the American survey foot.
The two have a ratio of 99.999998 % difference, and
which one is used depends on the state.

  The international foot is 0.3048 of a meter, where as
the American foot is 1200/3937 of a meter (an endless
decimal).

  The tiny difference occasionally causes confusion and
mistakes, so it now looks like the USA will standardize
on the international foot since this will make it easier to
convert from GPS measurements (which are given in
meters).

  So the American foot will become 0.000002% closer to
the metric system.

  I guess you all have to toss out your rulers and buy new
ones!

  ;-D

  Warm regards, Rick.