Re: (TFT) Re: TFT copyrights

J. McGuire at jmcguire@wtsoft.com on 7/4/98 2:44 PM said:

>Regarding the original TFT rights: Yes, the asking price for the TFT rules
>was $250K. It was reduced in negotiations, but not far enough. There was
>animosity involved, but clearly that wasn't the only factor, since he
>*still* hasn't sold those rights to anyone. [_Heroic Worlds_ and personal
>communication with SJ]

Howard *liked* us (myself and my Fantasimulations Associates compatriots
Greg Poehlein and Dave Tepool, who had run Metagaming's convention
presence for many years). He offered it to us for $100,000 cash. Plus a
10% gross royalty on all TFT products. Plus Howard was to hold all
copyrights to all material produced, with it reverting to him should any
of it go out of print.

Obviously, he had a much-inflated view of the worth of the property.

Of course, Howard's rapid departure from the world of game publishing
left us with an all-but-useless license to produce TFT game accessories
and a basement full of official TFT character sheets. (David finally
donated them as scrap paper a few years back...)

My understanding was that Steve Jackson got the Ogre property when he
left Metagaming over creative differences between himself and Howard.
Their agreement gave Steve all rights to OGRE and Howard all rights to
TFT.

Overall, I think the chances that TFT itself is ever going to resurface
again are vanishingly close to zero...

Guy McLimore / guymc@evansville.net
MC+ Creations Game Design and Consulting
http://bounce.to/mcplus