Re: (TFT) Re: Magic Card clones (off-topic)

Bryant Berggren at voxel@theramp.net on 7/6/98 3:37 AM said:

>Excuse me? The "Look and feel" doctrine got SHOT DOWN, didn't it? Twice
>(once Mac -> Windows, once Xerox -> Mac).

In neither case was the "look and feel" doctrine discarded. It was imply
held that look and feel wasn't a close enough imitation to apply in these
cases. TSR managed to close down several companies who did unauthorized
AD&D-centered supplements, forcing some of them to go to a more "generic"
approach. I expect that would happen with a Magic-clone set of cards
intended to play with M:tG and for no other purpose.

On a stand-alone game, you'd still have to face the Wizards patent (a
serious enough threat, certainly). But on something that couldn't be used
EXCEPT with Magic, it would likely be seen as a copyright violation as
well.

But then, I'm not a lawyer and I don't play one on TV. This is a layman's
opinion only, Your Mileage May Vary.

One last thing: whether it's a LEGAL violation of any sort or not, it
seems somewhat unworthy to profit from another's work. Even if one CAN do
it, SHOULD one do it?

And this still has nothing to do with TFT so I'm shutting up now.

Guy McLimore / guymc@evansville.net
MC+ Creations Game Design and Consulting
http://bounce.to/mcplus