Re: (TFT) TFT Rights

Dave Kohr at kohr@aeon.engr.sgi.com on 11/9/98 2:30 AM said:

>I imagine he's quite a bit happier with GURPS as an RPG design than with
>TFT.  For exaple, much as I like the simplicity of the TFT combat system, I
>really think GURPS does a better job overall when it comes to character
>design (even though you have to do more work).

I love GURPS for what it is - the most detailed and accurate personal
actions system on the market. But in taking GURPS that direction Steve
gave up some of the simplicity and ease-of-use of TFT. (Let's face it,
human activity is not a simple thing to model.)

There's certainly room for both concepts in game design. Steve has used
GURPS Lite to make GURPS a bit more attractive to the beginner and the
"lite" gamer, and I hope that experiment does well. (If you like a "lite"
touch with GURPS, and want to see more stand-alone GURPS products that
don't require tons of GURPS books to play, buy GURPS Discworld and let
Steve know you support that idea!)

But even if TFT were available to him (and Ty has explained very nicely
the reasons why it is not), I doubt Steve would want to go that direction.

Guy McLimore / guymc@evansville.net
MicroTactix Games
Coming soon: COMPACT COMBAT