Re: (TFT) TFT: The UnderEarth modules

"Mack Brewer" <mbrewer@psphalifax.ns.ca> wrote:

> ><<snippage>>
>
> From what some replies told me and from reading the complete list and
> info on TFT and related products from the list homepage, it looks like
> the UnderEarth products were an attempt to formalize and clean up the
> TFT stuff (like correcting a first draft?) and lay the groundwork for a
> unified campaign and FRP system.

It seems less like a "cleanup" effort and more of an effort to move TFT
players to titles that were not penned by Steve Jackson.  Sure, all of the
elements of Melee and Wizard are there, along with a few modifications,
but most important is that SJ's name doesn't appear on any of the material!
This was apparently important to Howard Thompson in the waning days of
Metagaming.

DoU sort of combines Advanced Melee, Advanced Wizard and some In The
Labyrinth rules for a hybrid that'd not really as good as the games it
came from.  The only thing I liked about the Underearth rules was the
combat resolution.  All actions are considered to have happened
simultaneously, so adjDX isn't as important in getting a chance to do
damage.  It makes for a much smoother flow in PBeM games.  It should be
noted, though, that this method of combat resolution was introduced in
Advanced Melee as the "Quick Combat System."

The Underearth combat system was supposed to be more streamlined than
TFT or even basic Melee and Wizard, but didn't really succeed.  My opinion
is that it's essentially the same, but with lots of explainations left out
of the rules.  In fact, there are a number of references in DoU to a game
called Conquerors of Underearth, which was never released!  Without CoU,
the whole concept of talents is unusable in the Underearth rules.

Lords of Underearth is different; it is a combat system for larger
groups - a company of fighters such as dwarves being led by a TFT
character, for example - that resolves the combat without having to set up
a battle for each fighter in the company.  I liked LoU and used it very
successfully in one adventure I ran where the band I was GM'ing decided
to pool their resources and hire a band of mercenaries for the end-game.

I own DoU because I have the entire TFT set of games, but it's easily the
most expendable of the lot.  Fortunately, I didn't pay much for it.