Re: (TFT) RE: Copywrite Questions

Gadda, Charles A wrote:

> > I hate to stir the pot again on this issue, but here goes. I read through
> > the (occasionally heated) discussion on copyrights, trademarks and patents
> > and have a few questions.

Ask a lawyer!  Why do people always ask legal questions in non-legal
venues??  It's just asking for bad advice and debate among the often
uninformed.  ;-)  That being said, here are some "uninformed" answers:

> > #1 - What issues are involved with making a TFT compatible module?

My gut reaction is that there is little to worry about here so long as
you don't incorporate portions of the original rules or components.

> > At what point does the mention of certain rules, names or concepts become
> > copywrite infringement?

Copyright does not generally cover "mentioning" things, it covers the
actual presentation of things.

> > The only additional question here regards
> > whether or not a copywrite must be defended.

Nope.

> > #3 - Last one, though its a multi-parter. I've seen $250K mentioned as the
> > asking price for the rights to TFT. Where exactly does this come from and
> > how current is it?

[Blatant Plug]
Per the Space and Fantasy Gamer's Guide
(http://www.brainiac.com/micro/sfgg/):
Space Gamer 65 at 28: "Metagaming asks $250,000 for rights to TFT"

(Did I mention there are 16 pages listing TFT articles in the Guide???)

> > A corollary to this question is what is a realistic
> > assessment of TFT's value? Would $10K or $25K be right?

I'd say you might even be a bit above the mark there...  the system's
main value today is in nostalgia.  I'm not sure a re-release would be
very successful (and certainly not as successful as the original.)

> > isn't so much a question as an idea: while one person may not be able to
> > afford the rights, a small group may be able to. But that entirely depends
> > on how reasonable HT is, and does present complications of its own.

But you have to find him first...

the Mav

--
TRY IT!  An unsurpassed reference source for the 1980's gamer: