RE: (TFT) RE: Copywrite Questions

	Besides, if commercial exploitation is your goal, why do it for a
system
	that no one can buy the basic rules for? Your market for a TFT-based

	adventure pack is EXTREMELY limited, and isn't going to grow,
	substantially.

Very true. I just wished to see some of the Land Beyond the Mountains
material that didn't make it see the light of day. Wonder what ideas they
had for that? In any case, I hesitate to use the term "commercial
exploitation" since I'd be content just to more or less break even. I just
hate seeing something left undone, I guess! I think another partial
motivator was a desire to reprint some of the maps for clarity (using
Campaign Cartographer and the like) and make them available. Even the maps
in the later Land Beyond the Mountains weren't always as well done as they
could have been.

	And no, it wouldn't be nice if that were true. Otherwise,
	the only people who could count on the protection of copyrights
would be
	those with the means to vigorously defend them against all assault.
As a
	creator, I believe in respecting the rights of other creators.

And I agree, apologies for even making that statement. I hadn't thought
through the logical consequences of that! It is his property, and that's all
that matters.

	Does this mean that anyone should feel free to reprint TFT (even
posting
	the contents of the books freely on the WWWeb, as someone did some
months
	ago for a short time)? No, I think that's wrong whether Howard comes

	forth to defend his property or not.

Again, I agree. I noted that same webpage and was a bit stunned to see it
all reprinted. I thought that a bit, well, blatent, and wondered if I was
missing something.

	But I think at this point, TFT should be left to the people like the

	subscribers to this list who love it and play it and keep it alive.
No
	game is ever "dead" as long as you have a copy and enjoy playing.
	Commercial exploitation of TFT. however, is probably a dead end and
	reprinting or developing it (free or commercial) without Howard's
	permission is wrong on the face of it whether he rises from the
shadows
	to bash you for it or not.

One last time, have to agree. I understand your obvious sensitivity on the
issue, and hope you'll forgive me for even making the suggestion of going
ahead with out Howard's say so. That was not my intent - I really was just
trying to get caught up on all of the issues. I have the info I sought, and
will go away now.