RE: (TFT) Re: Brawling

Humpf! I like mine better, so nyah nyah.

Actually, the concerns raised here are legitimate. The cost is too low, in
retrospect. Two points is probably ideal. I don't see it as being all that
complicated, but it does raise things up a notch and is mildly inelegant,
for the reasons stated. I don't prefer Justin's version, but I will say he
did it right, in that by simply making it a +1 in HTH only, it works out
fairly well with the other Unarmed Combat talents. I don't think the IQ need
be increased, as the "dirty tricks" strike me as being more instinctive then
anything else. It's more a matter of aggression than skill.

What I'm trying to address is a subtler problem, that covers both "realism"
and game balance to a lesser extent. Being a warrior involves more than just
the skill needed to use melee weapons; one has to overcome certain
instinctive responses to battle. For example, one instinct is to flinch when
swung at, which can be detrimental. Also, one must unlease one's "aggressive
instincts" to be really effective.

This last is why the military still trains its footsoldiers in the use of
the bayonet. While there is seldom any military need for it (the number of
bayonetings in recent conflicts has been vanishingly small) the training is
still used to help the recruits unlearn their inhibitions and instincts and
prepare them for battle. It is very effective at that.

>From a game perspective, using my version of brawling draws a clearer
distinction not only between warriors and wizards, but warriors and rogues,
thieves, priests, etc. So when making a character there are some distinct
"career paths" -

Wizard - obvious
Warrior - classed as hero, must take "brawling" to be minimally effective,
in addition to weapon talents.
Thief - Various thief talents (silent move, thief, master thief, etc.)
Priest - Priest and Theologian

Again, these are just suggestions. I like them, but I doubt anyone else
will. And that's ***fine***! To those who see utility here, bon appetit!