Re: (TFT) TFT: Wizardry Talent & Priestly Talent

On the category of Wizardly Talent:

I'm OK with the two classes of characters Wizards & Heroes. I think its alright for the 3 point cost for a hero to learn a spell. His restrictions on other magic items are OK too. I think that the 1 point cost to learn high level spells and low level spells alike is OK; your IQ capacity has increased your ability to deal with the complexity. So, in a sense, yes, the wizard has a natural bent for learning spells.

"A 'wizard' is a character who has spent all his life studying magic. It comes naturally to him, and he thinks in terms of magic; thus, he is good with spells, and handicapped at almost everything else." "A 'hero,' as far as this game is concerned, is any player-character who is not a wizard. A hero mayuse his weapons, his wits, or both - but he deals primarily with the physical world, rather than the psychic-spiritual one of the wizard. Heroes gain talents - physical abilities - easily, but are handicapped in learning spells, since they lack the proper training. By and large, a wizard should stick to spells - and a hero should leave the magic to wizards. A character who tries to do everything will not be very good at anything." ITL:9

I think that wizards should be able to learn a few talents without the double penalty though. I think that a wizard could learn how to use a KNIFE properly without a double cost. Witches and warlocks often perform ceremonies with knives. It would seem they could be well versed in its use. I think there could be a Thrown Weapons equivelant in THROWN SPELL talent that would be purchased at 2 points (I think this was brought up a couple of times on this site.) I don't recall, but I think Languages cost 1 point for a wizard, also. And there are some things a wizard can do better than a hero: Assess Value of magic items; Tactics when applied to other magicians, Naturalist when applied to herbs and other spell components that grow in the woods, etc. And does a wizard have no social life (studies 14 hours a day in a dank cell)? He probably spends some hours partying or doing his masters chores or making show for the peasants. I would say some things like swimming could be gotten at 1 point if you can give good enough explanation to the GM. Then again, the social life excuse for getting hero point costs can get EASILY abused. Just a thought.

Where I'd like to see a WIZARDRY TALENT come into play would be at the higher levels of IQ of say 14 IQ (sorry, I know that this might be an inborn trait, but in gameplay, I'd rather have it manifest itself when a mage can achieve a certain high level of insight). It could be purchased at 4 points (optional: you could have it only be purchased at character inception and become available when the character reaches 14 IQ or another way is just have it purchased when you get to that attribut level.) This Talent may allow you to recover fatigue faster or reroll a spell die roll or get better insight into the magic around the character, in short whatever the group agrees too. The idea is that it enhances magic in some way.

I'd also like to see SCHOLAR expanded to include more than just recognizing languages, though the "knows a good deal about history and about customs of the various races and peoples, and can make a very good guess about the origin of most artifacts or objects." allows the GM to introduce much story plot line. What I'd like to see is a hero SCHOLAR IN MAGIC who knows the theories and practices and can even attempt to do magic, but cannot bring about the spell. He might even have a detect magic or reveal magic if given enough time and alchemy tools and tomes to search. It would be vague and easily disasterous, but might prove useful to those who don't want to involve ANY magic users.

Dave mentions:
>I can't wait to see what you've come up with! What do you think
>of "Wizardry" as a super power?

Ready for more outrageous controversy?

Well, not only would I not want to get rid of the "class" of wizard (I think it balances out magic users and non-magic users), but I think a 'class' of supers might not be a bad alternative for the guys who like High Fantasy. Introduce them as {A 'super' is a character who has spent all his life with a superhuman power. It comes naturally to him, and he thinks in terms of his super power; thus, he is good with his ability, and handicapped at almost everything else.} JPB Variation of ITL. Well, this was just a thought too. Perhaps the same could be done with PSI, too.

And while we're on the subject of a 'hero' dealing with the physical world rather than the psychic-spiritual world...what about the priest who deals with the material-spiritual world? [This assumes that you make religion effective in your universe. If gods or spirits are just a theory, then this could not be a seperate class!] {A 'spiritualist,' as far as this game is concerned, is any player-character who is not a wizard or a hero. A spiritualist may or may not use his weapons, may or may not use his wits, he WILL use his god or totem - but he deals primarily with the Material-Spiritual world, rather than the psychic-spiritual one of the wizard. 'Spiritualists' gain talents - physical abilities - easily and Spiritual Mana somewhat easily, but are handicapped or prevented in learning spells, since they lack the proper viewpoint or the gods are against it. By and large, a wizard should stick to spells - a hero should leave the magic to wizards - and the realm of the spirit is to the Spiritualist.} JPB modification of ITL:9.

More on religion in future posts.

John Paul