(TFT) Clerics & Miracles Part I

From: Yendorian@aol.com
Subject: (TFT) Clerics
Date: Mon, 23 Aug 1999 22:39:57 EDT

Hello TFTers

I was just wondering how the verious Game Masters out there handle
Clerics/Priests within your games. My wife wan't to play one in an upcoming game.

Do you just use spells, or does anyone out there have a list of
Cleric special abilities they would like to share?

Thanks, Rod

As I was going to answer this question a couple of days ago, Rick Smith's article on Religions in TFT appeared. Rick, I like what you did for TFT Religion. It follows similar logic lines that I took (as far a reasoning out spirits and religious effects). Wish I'd had your article before having to delve into creation of the world years ago. Rick's system fits nicely into the standard TFT system as well. However, because its already created, here is another system of religion for TFT.

Note: I have been justifiably accused of writing rules which unbalance the game, so I'll also do that here, and match that one with a CLERIC Class [in addition to HERO and WIZARD class] and raise you one attribute - Piety.

Again, my research is done off of other gaming rules, with heavy influence from D&D and especially Chivelry and Sorcery.

In this particular game universe, gods are real and their religions effective (a la Thieve's World.) Sorry Rick, I do want to resort to a D&D and C&S style of miracles and want to give clerics "God Powered" abilities and make them the "medics" of the troops. In this particular game universe, they should have the ability of unbalancing the game. Whether the GM makes this available as a PC class is another question. [Note: I do make a differentiation between a 'Cleric' and a Miracle Worker.]

Also, this particular game universe assumes that the energy of magic and the spiritualism of the gods [or Mother Nature] are opposed for the most part because any humanoid who knows a spell seemingly can do miracles and they pollute the earth with magical radiation, though some gods embrace magic. Sometimes the opposition is so great that magic cannot work on holy ground and holy ground can be polluted by magic. This is a general knowledge in this particular game universe:
Almost General Knowledge is:

   The Wizards disdain the Church as lawful demonology.
   The Church despises Wizards as doing false miracles.
   Wizards & the Church hate demonology as using Devil Magic.
   For the most part, Demons (Devils) hate everyone for
       bringing them to this painful plane, but they love
       to wreck havoc afterwards.
   Alchemy is a non-mage making magical products.
   Wizards dislike Mechanicians as a technological threat
       to their dominance.
   Magic and sometimes alchemy does not work on sanctified ground.
   Only wizards can use magic scrolls.  Scrolls are usually
       written in Sorcerer's Tongue.  Scholars can sometimes
       unlock the magic with often disastrous results.

One of the things I dislike about gaming religious manifestations is its seeming similarity to magic. Rolling vs. IQ or DX is just like casting a spell and if your PLAYERS get tired after long gameday, they may be CONSIDERING it a spell instead of a prayer. If they are losing fatigue too, then it REALLY simulates wizardry. So I had (groan...long before I experienced the 'Attributes War) added an attribute to the CLERIC Class called PIETY. Only a cleric need start a character with it. Miracle rolls are done against PIETY and this will be described later. Oh yeah, and there is sort of another 'attribute' for rank in the Church.

Religions are different in their beliefs, philosophy and attitudes [not only to the world, but even internal politics.] Like Rick Smith, I'm in favor of creating a new set of miracles for each religion.

I run a GURPS Fantasy YRTH variation converted to TFT, so the Catholic Church is a strong part of this land [running a current non-fiction religion can be done believably and without belittling or degrading the religion.] The religion below is just one of the religions you can create. The GURPS YRTH premise is that medieval earth inhabitants were wisked to YRTH and continued their lives. I just expanded it with one of (my variation ) YRTHs gods Mitra, God of Light, adopting the Catholic Church {Christ does not involve himself with YRTH] and assuming the mantle of the Churches God.

Mitra/Christian Church article:
The Mitra/Christian Church on Cidri has a catholic type set-up. There are lay priests (the clergy and monastic orders), those who battle for their religion (the monastic fighting ordersÝ), and those who can perform miracles (these will be in the clergy, monastary or fighting order. They are not a seperate entity).

This write-up is for those who perform miracles. A Miracle Worker Cleric is ranked according to what he has learned and what the god has granted him miracle-wise. A Miracle Worker Cleric will need the PRIEST TALENT. He will then need the THEOLOGIAN TALENT (which is now 12 IQ, not 14 IQ) if he is to proceed into the higher ranks. In addition, he will need MIRACLE TALENT (2) at 9 IQ. This is what makes him a miracle worker as opposed to just a priest. {the relatively low cost of this as a Talent is offset by the cost in attribute points later on} *There is actually a priest package & a miracle worker package now.* Miracle Workers are a small percentage of the church, so if you want to be a Miracle Worker Cleric, choose Priest Talent; then roll 1-5% (or more if you want to make it available) on Percentage Dice. If you make it, god has selected you for his miracles. Miracle Worker Clerics can learn other skills & even fight (though fighting churchmen usually are Templars.)

Beware: Because of a Miracle Worker Clerics special status with his god, he may often be obligated to do the churches' or god's bidding. In order to be able to go up a rank as a Miracle Worker in the church (not a guarantee), one must invest an attribute point into each religious rank. You can start investing only when your total attribute is 33 or higher. This is in addition to what the Church requires of Rank experince points. One is a spiritual investment, the other temporal.

The clergy are members of the central Church institution and are, typically, Ordained Priests. They are usually non-fighters unless serving as chaplains in religious fighting orders The Clergy may not shed the blood of any man, so they often use crushig weapons instead of edged/pointed weapons, unless engaging non-humans.

Note: Most Cidri religions distrust and dislike magic as competition to god's miracles.

ÝThe fighting orders of the church (such as the Knights Templar, The Knights Hospitalars, etc) are military men drawn to serve the church in the only way they know how - by fighting the infidel and protecting pilgrims. They are the military arm of the church, usually sworn allegiance to the pope himself. They have the same attitudes as knights, but tempered by religious commitments. Most fighting Monastics are lay-brother novices and do not acquire clerical powers, but some go on to become ordained priests so they can serve as chaplains to the order. Therefore, unless a Church Knight is going to be a chaplain, he will not need Theologian Talent and must purchase Priest Talent at 1 point. A Fighting Miracle Worker is a Paladin! He needs Knight & Miracle Worker Packages.

NOTE: Fighting orders of the church are to follow the monastic rules of the church (Vows of poverty, celibacy, communion & confession, thou shalt not kill, whatever is the norm for a priest...) when not involved in a church-sanctioned war. However, when the church sanctions the use of its monastic fighting order for war, the Fighting Knights are usually exempted from the vows for the duration of the fighting. This is so the mindset of a priest will not interfere with the mindset of a warrior.

The church provides for their own. Room, board, equipment, & other. They are also given a stipend which is surplus to room & board to buy all other items they might want/need. Because of this, any loot the cleric claims [he will first try to get the party to contribute to any worthy victims & family] will be given to the church safes except for 10% which he can keep.

BUYING INTO THE CHURCH or
CATHOLIC PRIEST PACKAGE:    IQ = 9, Cost = (5)    (Church)
+0  (2) Priest						<all support is by the church>
   (3) Priestly Benedictions
   (1) Consecration/Desecration
   (1) Lit
   (.5) Physicker {at 1/2 cost = 1 point}
   (.5) Master Physicker {at 1/2 cost = 1 point}
   (4) Magical Resistance +2
           (represents Mitra's protection versus magic)
   (1) High status - priest (+1 reaction from
           Christians/Mitra worshippers)
   (0) Vow of Celibacy
   (0) Vow to abstain alcohol/drugs (except church wine)
   (-1) Dislike - Church intolerance of magic
   (-2) Mitra Code of Honor -
           Truthfulness, Honor, Trustworthiness,
           No betrayal of a friend
   (-2) Vow - Never cast any sorcery
           (or lose priesthood)
   (-2) Duty - Serve the church by welfare of the flock &
          performance of good works - while increasing the
          temporal power & security of the Church
          <Duty-Get Converts & Bring in land & money>

CATHOLIC MIRACLE WORKER PACKAGE:    Only 5% of Priests are M.W.
Rank 1               IQ = 9, Cost = (9)       (Church)
+1  (2) Priest                         <all support is by the church>
   (3) Priestly Benedictions
   (1) Consecration/Desecration
   (1) Lit
   (.5) Physicker {at 1/2 cost = 1 point}
   (.5) Master Physicker {at 1/2 cost = 1 point}
   (4) Magical Resistance +2
           (represents Mitra's protection versus magic)
   (1) High status - priest (+1 reaction from
           Christians/Mitra worshippers)
   (0) Vow of Celibacy
   (0) Vow to abstain alcohol/drugs	(except church wine)
   (-1) Dislike - Church intolerance of magic
   (-2) Mitra Code of Honor -
           Truthfulness, Honor, Trustworthiness,
           No betrayal of a friend
   (-2)    Vow - Never cast any sorcery (or lose priesthood)
   (-2)    Duty - Serve the church by welfare of the flock &
           performance of good works - while increasing the
           temporal power & security of the Church
           <Duty-Get Converts & Bring in land & money>
----and---------------------
   (6) Miracle Talent - Acolyte Level I
   (1) Reputation - Miracle Worker  (+1 Reaction)
           (+2 to mitra worshippers)
   (-2) Do what Mitra bids      (GM insertion of as much
           counterbalance as he feels is due this package.)

Note: I did not discount the Priest Package and I discounted the Miracle Worker package by 1 point. You learn these packages thru the Official Catholic Church.

Next:  Mitra/Christian Church article Part 2
          Rank in the Church
          Categories of Miracles & Rolling for Miracles
          Experience Points and Recovering Piety
          The List of Miracles
          Some sample Miracles

Hail Melee,