(TFT) Blow away items

Okay,

You guys (from Rick's game) keep using the phrase
"Blow Away item" in reference to missile (and missile spell?)
defence. I understand the general term but could you
clarify it for me with actual examples and costs for
these nice to have items?
If it's something like a self-powered reverse missiles
then I don't see how most characters could ever aford it,
and if it's not self-powered or always on then it seems
less than effective, especially if surprised. You'd be
pincushioned before you could ever activate it.

Please help a poor confused player & GM.

Mack