Re: (TFT) plate and half-plate...opinions wanted

On 10/02/99 17:18:16 Pasha or Rick Smith wrote:

>	I agree that no one takes plate or half plate.  We
>could very reasonably give them one less point of DX penalty
>with out unballancing the TFT rules.  (For my rules, just lower
>the no negative numbers by one.)
>	I am not troubled by most people jumping right to
>fine plate, in those days, if you were rich enough to buy
>plate, you would spend some time and money to 'custom fit'
>it to your body.

Well, I won't argue with you feeling that way, and if it
doesn't bother you certainly there's no reason to consider
my changes.

>	The real penalty IMHO is the movement penalties.
>These are not terribly realistic, but I won't change them,
>they have a nice play ballance for the game.

Agreed.

>	One thing that troubles me is that the players
>(in my campaign at least) tend to get plenty of armor.  This
>would be typical for a moderately successful adventure:
>
>Fine Leather 	-3 hits / attack
>	weapon armor ench. on it
>		-3 hits  *

Hm...meaning no offense or anything, but if you're concerned
about people getting too much armor, why go out of your way
to postulate "fine leather" that stops three hits  (or six hits
if you're assuming 4k for the W/A enchantment is no big deal).
I mean, going from 2 pts. of armor to 3 is a 50% increase.  Plate
to fine plate is only a 20% increase in protection.

>*	Notes:  I don't allow w/a enchantment to more than
>double the basic defence of the armor so the fine leather could
>get a max. of the -3 protection.  (Minimum an extra 1 point.)

I *really* like this idea...too bad my players would lynch me if
I tried to introduce it now.  We have quite a few wizards with
+2 cloth that's as good as chainmail.

>	With Plate, the w/a enchantment could stop an extra
> 3 points so the above adventurer could get up to -17 points.
> (-15 when attacked from the rear.)
>
>	So that is the essence of it.  Lowering the DX
>penalties is a good move, except I am loath to make getting
>more armor any easier to get.

Well...I can see your point, but consider: by the time they can
afford these heavy duty W/A enchantments, leather flesh, etc.
they'll obviously be enchanting either leather or fine plate.
That wouldn't change with my modifications, since the DX penalty
of half plate with my changes would be no better than that of
fine plate.  I have no problem with that--all I want to do is
make half plate and normal plate somewhat more viable for the
moderately experienced fellow that has maybe $2k or $3k of cash
to spend.