Re: [Fwd: (TFT) Seige Weapons]

Hi Stan
From: stan rydzewski <srydzews@ix.netcom.com>
Subject: Re: [Fwd: (TFT) Seige Weapons]
Date: Fri, 24 Sep 1999 11:06:06 -0400

Michael Taylor wrote:

> BOMBARD.  The BOMBARD is a large cannon, used by (or against)
> castles and walled towns. Both of these use much gunpowder > and are not often seen; the Bombard will not be covered in > this game.
>
> Did you ever come up with stats for this?

  No.  While even "catapult" covers a fairly large range of devices,
the term "bombard" can mean almost anything.  Any sort of high-angle
gun from 8" bore howitzers to 36" bore monsters has been called a
"bombard".  So it's tough to do the matter justice without a range
of weapons.
  More importantly, who would use such a thing on Cidri?  Consider
that enough gunpowder to fire a musket (let's go crazy and say
it's a whole ounce) costs $100.  A large bombard might use ten
pounds of powder for a single shot (a WAY conservative figure
for these large windage guns, btw).  That's $16,000 per shot!
If we're using this thing in a seige, that's at least $320,000
a day operating expense.  Yeah, right--I just don't see a
realisic role for them.

  Of course, there are those who say that gunpowder really is
cheap, but the wizards and chemists are in cahoots to jack up
the price so much that it's out of reach of the "common man".
These rabble-rousers inevitably claim that the "sulfur-metabolizing
microorganism" supposed to be such a problem for gunpowder is a
fiction; that such a thing would wreak havoc with the entire
ecosystem were it actually to exist, and anyway why can't
Cleansing spells kill it as easily as any other microorganism?

Of course, those who talk about such a conspiracy too loudly
often vanish in the middle of the night, only to have their
bodies turn up a few days later in the harbor, curiously bereft
of all organs that are used in the composition of potions and
magic items.  Odd, that.

Anyway, *if* such a conspiracy existed, it could justify the
use of cannon by governments (that are, of course, all part of
the conspiracy) while still keeping the cost high to most people.
I don't know, myself, but I'm sure...the truth is out there.

Stan

Here are some alternates to gunpowder weapons or bullets/bombs.

There is the possibility of steam cannons.

Also, with alchemy being able to produce all sorts of stuff, I'm sure its only a matter of time when the chemist and the alchemist will develop a cheap form of instantly expanding gas that does not require gunpowder.

And what about the Wizard who controls a wind elemental to heave the load out of the tube?

What about shooting an exploding gem out of an arqubus or maybe a dozen sticky floor gems shot from a catapult.

A bombard could be used as an intimidation weapon in psychological warfare. If your opponents in the enemy castle don't know much about gunpowder and you haul a ten foot long cannon to just less than bowshot range and make a big tadoo about using it, they would be frightened. If you use it twice because thats all the powder you have and blast the door down and then calmly send a ambassador to negotiate their surrendor before you haul the Bigger Trojan Cannon forward and level the walls, you have successfully used the expensive gunpowder as to negotiation tool. And hopefully the Illuminati doesn't catch up with you before you restock your powder.

By the way, since it takes so long for a gun to be reloaded in a melee anyway, using it occasionally for a long range missile weapon isn't so expensive. If it picks out the eye of the oncoming cyclops, it was probably worth the expense. Shoot, then take out your close range weapon and fight.

Hail Melee
John Paul