Re: (TFT) Don't go off half-cocked

From: "grabowski" <grabowski@erols.com>
Subject: (TFT) Don't go off half-cocked
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 1999 23:29:46 -0400

As far as accuracy for a smoothbore musket, at the range of 75 yds (appx. 69m.) a typical musket had a six foot hit-miss radius. Hence, the linear formations from the 18th through the 19th century in combat. Weapons dictate tactics. Basically, this tactic was used to make the weapon more effective. (At 125 yds = 9 foot hit-miss radius).

As far as gun/cannon fire and distance, a typical six-pound iron gun could fire a projectile approximately 2500 yds (I wish the heck we Americans would get rid of our antiquated measurement system. Sometimes, we are too hardheaded). The distance measured is not totally in the air but bouncing along the ground as well. The Americans at Yorktown did this so well that they fired at the howitzer "shells" in front of the British fortifcation walls. This way the shell would bound over the wall exploding into the Brits hidden behind.

Another thing to remember about artillery is that up until the 19th century long barreled guns did not fire shells that exploded. They fired solid shot, grape-shot, canister, bar-shot but nothing that exploded because of the possiblity of the shell
exploding within the barrel when loading.  Think about it!!!!

Yours in Cidri and on the move again with the list,
Justin

Thanks for the gunpowder distance info.

Also, in my cannon lists, I include info on rocks/shot and exploding bombs so my players could have a choice. But I do keep in mind the risk of blowing up the bomb in the chamber if there is a crit.

Hail Melee,
John Paul