(TFT) BOUNCE tft@brainiac.com: Non-member submission from [The Maverick <themaverick@volcano.net>] (fwd)

>>>>> Forwarded message from The Maverick <themaverick@volcano.net>

What?  Heresy?  A rabid D&D fan invading the mailing list?  Nope...  the
quote is actually a rough paraphrase of Metagaming's own Howard
Thompson!

Andy Windes sent me a copy of a letter he received from HT back in
1980.  At 16, Andy had written to Metagaming and received the following
reply which he was kind enough to scan for MHQ (the scan will be posted
to the MHQ site soon...  yes, there will be an update this millenium!)
The signature on the letter is a match for HT signatures on other
Metagaming documents I've reviewed so I have no reason to doubt its
authenticity.

Enjoy!

the Mav

P.S.  Andy was interested in any comments that the letter might
generate.  You can write him at awindes@anv.net, or cc: any replies sent
to the mailing list.

-----  letter to Andy Windes from Howard Thompson  -----

METAGAMING

March 31, 1980

Andy Windes

Dear Andy,

  I usually don't have time to answer many letters now.  However, your
views are similar enough to mine on several points and it seems good to
say 'I agree' sometimes as well as the 'I disagree' letters I often
write instead.

 TFT is too complicated as completed by Steve Jackson.  He completed the
project as he wished, not as I'd hoped or even laid down constraints.
But, when we'd stuck out our necks so far on TFT and were so committed
we had no choice but to go with what we got.  I think the system is
better than D&D, but not by a huge margin.  All the material in Advanced
Melee and Advanced Wizard didn't need to be added at all.  More spells
and weapons fine, more detail of combat, no.

  My feeling is that in the extra two years of work TFT got longer
instead of better.  I'm having work started no (sic) on a new FRP system
that can be introduced in 3-4 years and is closer to what I think the
market wants and what I'll feel comfortable in publishing.

  That's the reality of publishing.  Sometimes you have to publish what
you've got when it's good but not perfect.  Without new products we go
out of business.

  On the micros I feel our error was in having too many micros of the
same type come out one right after the other.  If we'd sprinkled in some
history, fantasy and some odd-ball themes it wouldn't have looked so
dull.  At least I hope that's the case.

  I hope we can avoid publishing real clinkers. (sic)  I know we will
put out games some don't like at times.  But, the effort in doing
quality pays off in dollars.  Our stuff sells good years after
introduction.  Some of the other firms see their stuff die after six
months.  Quality and effort does pay, it just isn't always possible.

Good Gaming,
<signed>
Howard Thompson

BOX 15346, AUSTIN, TX  78761