Re: (TFT) Re: ...keep your powder dry

From: Pasha and or Rick Smith <pnrsmith@istar.ca>
Subject: Re: (TFT) Re: ...keep your powder dry
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 1999 18:52:11 -0800

	What would the range of various sizes of cannon?
I would be very interested since one of my campaigns has
pirates with cannon.

Cool. In the previous segment in the Troop Movement campaign I'm running, the players were in a cog and a sloop and they came up against a Large Ship and another cog. They were in a river and had to pass these two ships. I used ceramic cast ships and rules from the game called PIRATES from a company in California. These rules were modified only slightly to fit TFT. They only had ballistas and catapults on this encounter; I'm going to break in gunpowder slowly into this game. But I wouldn't worry about the cost of gunpowder in my games anyway. There will be some barrels as booty and that will handle that.

	If I understand Justin's reasoning, the number of
cartidges will range from 30 to 75 per pound of powder.  So if
we say that 50 cartridges can come from a chemist's dose of
powder then the cost to fire a musket would be $2.  $2 is lower
than I am really happy for the cost of powder.

	I don't mind the idea that some sort of bacteria causes
the powder to rot.  The full price for powder would include
a premium to ship it to combat quickly enough that it would be
fresh.  Old powder would become increasingly more likely to
be bad.  (Old powder in my campaign is much more likely than
1 in 6 to fail to go off.)

	In my campaign, the formula for gun powder has
changed.  It has a little less sulfur and a number of 'preservatives'
that slow the rate at which it rots.  This results in the powder
massing more for each charge.  Basically in my campaign replace
kg, for pounds to get the same explosive force.  This makes
gun powder more expensive since it costs more to ship it (and
getting it to battle quickly is important, remember.)

	Thanks again for the posts.

I like the idea that if the powder is old, then you roll. And I like the idea of added expense for rushed shipping.

JPB