Re: (TFT) Rule of Five

Michael Taylor <MichaelTaylor1@compuserve.com> wrote:
> Message text written by INTERNET:tft@brainiac.com
> >I think that the Rule of 5 is a great idea.<
>
> How do you justify it though? It seems like level limits for non-human
> races in AD&D, or clerics not using sharp weapons. The rule of 5 is a good
> rule for game balance, but it's really hard to find a campaign reason for
> its existence...

Why does it need to be justified?  It's there specifically for the
purpose of balancing the game, and in my experience works pretty well.

As I think I've said before, Melee/Wizard/ITL are abstractions of a
particular set of actions, experiences and locations.  The streamlined
approach to these games doesn't have to accurately model reality.
("What is reality?" - The Firesign Theater)

I've often felt that TFT didn't get as big as D&D or some other RPG systems
because it valued that gameplay over strict modeling.  People can go to
extremes to model certain situations, leading to overly complex rules and
long bouts of dice-rolling.  TFT tends to be more general, bringing things
to a more basic form.

Sometimes this doesn't sit well; based on the history of the list, the
way armor's handled is a particularly weak point.  We're free to expand
an area like that as much as we want.  That's the beauty of an RPG.

I don't think anyone can really justify the rule of 5 from a modeling point,
but it keeps a game from having a character like Massha from Robert
Aspirin's "Myth" series - all gadgets and no talent.