Re: (TFT) Rule of Five

>Michael Taylor <MichaelTaylor1@compuserve.com> wrote:
>> Message text written by INTERNET:tft@brainiac.com
>> >I think that the Rule of 5 is a great idea.<
>>
>> How do you justify it though? It seems like level limits for non-human
>> races in AD&D, or clerics not using sharp weapons. The rule of 5 is a
good
>> rule for game balance, but it's really hard to find a campaign reason for
>> its existence...
>
>Why does it need to be justified?  It's there specifically for the
>purpose of balancing the game, and in my experience works pretty well.

Back from the "dead" and commenting right away too! <heh>
(me that is)

I personnaly "justify" the "Rule of Five" in my campaigns
by declaring that enchantments are basically unstable and
subject to outside influence in some magic rich areas, and
that the more magic that accumulates in a given place the more
affect it has on each other.
It also has a very strong and pronounced area of affect like
if gravity was as short ranged as missile weapons then magical
enchantments would affect other enchantments at a similiar range
to thrown weapons. (this doesn't read well as I study it but it's
the best I can do at the moment)

I actually start the RO5 at 3 items! Three Items are safe in very
close proximity to each other but more than that may begin to
exert subtle, strange, or at times unsubtle affects on each other,
that's why 5 seems to be the defacto accepted "safe" standard.

Every magic item that a player or npc carries on their person
in excess of 3 items has a base 1% cumulative chance/week of
affecting one of the other items they have either by subtly
twisting the magic properties of the item, disenchanting it
entirely, or occasionally reducing it's strength or even reversing
it's intended and original enchantment.

# Items:   % chance to affect each other:
--------   ------------------------------
1-3        n/a
4          1% (acceptable risk)
5          1% + 2% = 3% (still acceptable)
6          1% + 2% + 3% = 6% (too risky, hence rule of 5)
7+         etc.

(this is also my personal theory where MOST cursed items came from
as if my own mage were to devote weeks of work and money to creating
an item he'd damn well be making a GOOD one that would benefit himself
rather than spending weeks to create a bad item he couldn't use himself)

So, "Phred" the fighter habitually carries around 5 items (2 in excess
of my three so he has a base chance of 3%/week for something
wierd happening to one of his items)

"Charlie", his buddy happens to drag around 6 items (NO I don't have
the 6th one somehow turn itself off, never did like or use that rule)
and has a base 6% chance/week of one of his items de-magicking or
something happening, or twice Phred's risk.

While not adventuring most of my players store their extra (above 3)
items apart in their house or whatever so they don't have to risk them
while in town.

Just my 2 cents worth as usual.

Justin et al, game turn out tonite F-I-N-A-L-L-Y !

Mack