Re: (TFT) Re: TFT Digest V1 #260

At 12:09 AM 10/23/99 -0400, you wrote:
>Message text written by INTERNET:tft@brainiac.com
>>
>Does anyone recall Melee articles on the macedonian phalanx in a magazine
>from 1979? I remember the lance was about 5 hexes long, but forget the
>shields.
>
>nils<

Good evening Nils, this is Ron Pehr.  I'd forgotten I wrote the article
until the last person who posted mentioned the specific issue.  The idea
was to simulate the weapons and tactics of soldiers from historical ancient
cultures.  The Macedonians used a five hex long pike, requiring ST 13,
inflicting D+2 dmg.  They wore bronze armor, which stopped 3 hits, MA=5,
-3DX.  The pikemen could charge or use the polearm defense rules, however
in the following turn they wre -1DX for each extra hex the pike was
extended (they didn't have to hit only at five hexes but could hold the
pike to point into up to five hexes).  If the pikeman were in rows, those
in back rows could point past pikemen in front rows.  Thus, those in the
front could engage, say 2 hexes away, those in the second row would engage
3 hexes, those in the third 4 hexes so that the opponent would be hit by 3
pikes at the same time.  The opponent would be at -1DX for each additional
pike pointed into his hex.