Re: (TFT) 5gram coin is ok but 4.11 is better.....

I did this awhile back.....

> The different metals are in use in different places, though I never
bothered
> with different exchange rates for the same metals. It's pretty useful to
> know that 200 coins are a kilo: a coin is 5 grams. That's part of the
reason
> gems and jewlery are pretty common. They weigh less (and jewelry has
> craftsmanship value). Also, it gives good immediate reson for Recognize
> Value, Assess Value, and Business Sense.

Using the Drachma (4.2923 grams), 5000 silver coins weigh about 57 and a
half pounds. I'd call 5000 coins weighing over fifty pounds a bag of gold.
So lets call each coin a shade over 4.1 grams so that bag weighs in right at
55lbs. Why the extra five pounds? Well 10 bags of 50,000 coins (a good
tresure even by Monster Manual standards) would weigh 550lbs. and a good
horse can lift 550lbs. 1ft. in 1 second aka 1 horsepower. Much of early
Blackmoor was about moving things around.

I knew these guys once;
 and one of them had this D&D campaign going where some guys who lived in
the neighborhood played almost daily over the summer and some guys only
played on the weekends. Well anyway this one time a bunch of the weekenders
show up in the middle of the week and start clamoring for an adventure. Well
this guys got nothing worked up but he kinda strokes his chin and thinks
about the guy who plays most in this world. This guy had acumulated way too
much stuff and he'd built his fighters keep recently. Not only that but he'd
ridden weeks away on his last adventure so nobody but the henchmen were
home. Perfect fodder. So the weekenders spend a delightful and profitable
afternoon pillaging the "evil barons" castle and everyone went home happy.
My Favorite part of the story was torn between the tearful description given
by the GM to the player of the smoke rising over the horizon and the dying
description of events gasped out by the wounded guard captain or the
decision of the player to take all his remaining wealth and buy livestock
off the equipment lists and become a nomad so this could never happen again.
In retrospect my favorite part is defiantly the wonderful precedent this
GM's action set.

Jay    Confused3141@hotmail.com
"<>It seems that people who deliberately deconstruct religion, then exorcise
it from their lives, eventually realize that maybe they're not so much
smarter than everyone who's ever lived after all.  When they inevitably
discover that faith has a purely utilitarian value as a way of mitigating
the mounting existential dread that arises from simply being alive, they
generally resort to creating some kind of half-assed religion substitute.
This leads to spiritual philosophies that embarrass everybody, like
aromatherapy and everything Jewel believes.<>"