Re: (TFT) Weapon Multiplier

From: Michael Taylor <MichaelTaylor1@compuserve.com>

Very interesting stuff, but I'm wondering how you can use
this information?

Michael,
Well, I can use it for analysis. Mostly. There are a few simi cool things that can be done with it. Determining if a weapon is finely made, or not, for one. Let me show you an example. Here is the standard sword list from TFT. The Multiplyer has been added in the last column.

                   Damage    ST     Cost   WT.     MULT
Dagger*              1-1      -      $10     .1

Rapier               1         9     $40     .5    .3809
Cutlass              2-2      10     $50    1.5    .5010
Shortsword           2-1      11     $60    2      .5411
Broadsword           2        12     $80    2.5    .5812
Bastard sword(1-h)   2+1      13     $100   3.5    .6213
Bastard sword(2-h)  3-2      13     $100   3.5    .6513
2-handed sword      3-1      14     $120   5      .6714
Great Sword         3+1      16     $150   7      .7116
* thrown weapon
 two handed weapon

First, the MULT for dagger isn't given. It does not have an 'official' minimum strength required to weild. Second let me answer a question from Rick Smith real quick. To do that I have added the listing for 1-h and 2-h spear here.

Spear*               1        11     $40    3      .3211
Spear(2-h)*         1+1      11     $40    3      .4011

From: "Pasha and Rick Smith" <pnrsmith@istar.ca>

	If you look at my weapon lists on
Ty's site, you will see that I increased
the damage of the 2 handed weapons by +2
damage or so.  Would your system have trouble
with this adjustment?

Rick,
I have found that adding 0.04 through 0.09 to the multiplier of any weapon gives its 2 handed damage. First of all I have to point out from the only two examples availiable in TFT; the bastard sword and the spear, the increase for a second hand is only +1 damage. That aside, I use a standard 0.05 for putting a second hand on a weapon. Here are the two examples.

Bastard sword   .6213 * 13   =   8.1  or  2D+1
Bastard sword  .6713 * 13   =   8.6  or  3D-2

Spear*          .3211 * 11   =   3.5  or  1D
Spear          .3711 * 11   =   4.0  or  1D+1

To make it a full +2 damage bonus for a second hand, instead of +1, one could use a standard 0.12 addition to the MULT. This should give +2 damage in the range of normal weapons and strength. At higher strength, like a giant, it would give more. Here are the same weapons at +0.12

Bastard sword   .6213 * 13   =   8.1  or  2D+1
Bastard sword  .7613 * 13   =   9.3  or  3D-1   =two handed sword dmg

Spear*          .3211 * 11   =   3.5  or  1D
Spear          .4611 * 11   =   4.6  or  1D+2   =naginata damage

Coincidentally Rick, if you take a broadsword and multiply it by a starting giant's strength you get the following. I checked your giant weapons table on Ty's web site and it was suprisingly close to your results. Here is the same math as before.

Broadsword      .5812 * 25  =   14.5  or  4D+1

Now,
Back to Michaels' question, can you do interesting stuff with it. I hope the answer to Rick above, show's one cool thing about it. Another thing I would like to bring out is the detection of finely made weapons. I have had people help me design weapons in the past. If I had a player who was into a certain cultural history they could make up a weapons table introducing the new stuff. I did get all kinds of information on weapons I had never heard of before. Like the 'ten dragon spear' (it has ten points on the end, very heavy), the Klingon weapon, the 'man catcher', and stuff like that. But there was a drawback. I noticed that the players tended to have a little prejudice to their own weapons. They would have the same ST required as a pike axe, but do more damage. Or the same ST as a bastard sword and do more damage. Even the same ST as a halberd, and still do more damage. Further, I had a hard time explaining this to them. That their own favoritism for the weapon was not grounds for giving it more damage than the next weapon of that ST. They were attached to their 'pet' weapons felt justified. By using the MULT formulas I am able to show them objectively the math of what they were doing. Here is the additional step to detecting a 'finely made' weapon. As TFT allows for weapons that do one or two more points of damage for the same ST, I consider these type weapons to fall in that category. The 'ten dragon' spear still does 3-1 for ST 15 but it costs *10 what a normal pike does.

Two numbers are needed. These are called the Multiplier Ratio (MR), and the Strength Ratio (SR).

MR  =  MULT / .5000
SR  =  Minimum ST / 10

finely made  =  MR / SR   greater than  1.0

take a broadsword for example...

MR  =     .5812  /  .5000    =     1.1624
SR  =        12  /  10       =     1.2

        1.1624  /  1.2      =     0.968666

This is not greater than 1.0 and thus is not a finely made weapon. In fact when I checked this formula against all the TFT weapons I didn't find a single finely made weapon. Only one weapon even came close. To tell the truth I wasn't suprised either. It is the cutlass. It always did seem to do a strange amount of damage for just ST 10. But it just barely sqweeks under the finely made detection.

Cutlass   .5010
MR  =     .5010  /  .5000    =     1
SR  =        10  /  10       =     1
             1  /  1        =     1  or  not greater than 1.0

   David Michael Grouchy II