Re: (TFT) Hex map

David,

your method is similar to what we did much of the time. As I recall, for small battles we'd tend to use the Melee or Wizard maps as a base, or for larger battles, very large stable hexmaps of various types, using inverted megahex cutouts for obstacles and so on, though not as nicely constructed as yours sound. Your set sounds like very nice - a great TFT fan artifact! ;-)

Another weakness you didn't mention of the ITL megahexes is that they're a wee tad smaller than the Melee/Wizard megahexes - grr! The smaller size makes them harder to align with Melee/Wizard maps, and isn't as nice to move counters on, not to mention your other observations. I think when we did use photocopied megahexes, we always anchored them with heavy items, so in practice they rarely got messed up, though they remained at least a bit fiddly.