Re: (TFT) Critical Spell Failures

Erol, it's pretty clear that you and your pals have very different tastes from me and mine, and that's ok. If you think even occasional dropped and broken weapons make things feel like slapstick, then clearly you don't want to use such rules. I can see how some might feel that way.

Personally, chances for things to go wrong seem much closer to reality. Sometimes, reality is a comedy of errors, and those tend to be moments of interest, challenge, and yes, humor.

Real weapons do get dropped and broken in combat. Even devices like modern firearms and flashlights and cars and computers and ... practically everything ... can and do fail and behave unpredictably at times. Just the other day, a pal was demonstrating a handy mallet by waving it back and forth a few times, and the handle separated and flew across the room! Reading actual detailed accounts of combat, honest reports generally include many cases of unexpected problems with equipment and other huge blunders, which are just part of life, particularly when people are under stress of combat, being interfered with by enemies, and having to get everything right the first time or suffer consequences.

It's not always easy to get both simple and statistically correct game rules. A straight 17 = drop, 18 = break rule isn't statistically good because it doesn't take skill or weapon quality into account. The GURPS rules do take both into account, and a similar or even more accurate mechanic could be used in TFT too, if you can stand the complexity. It's also a good way to add meaning to equipment quality, and to high skill.

As far as spells, one can limit the effects as well as the chances, so that you get the kinds of flubs you want. Apparently you only want 1-fatigue flubs (which is ok). Personally I think it's more interesting if there can be some unexpected side-effects, as long as they're appropriate. No matter how badly a typical caster flubs a 1-ST Light spell, it's generally not going to do anything awful unless they're already in a situation where they need it to go exactly right the first time. If you give a small chance that it'll light the wrong thing or the wrong color or that the caster will get confused about that spell for a little while, the effects are entirely under control, especially if you use a two-roll system that takes skill into account, and/or a good GM taking them into account.

For those who play FRPG for successful and dry heroics, I can see wanting everything mundane to go as planned, though. Fans of Batman don't want any chance his Bat-grapnel cord will catch on his pointy ears as he twirls it overhead, or have any chance to actually slip and fall.

By way of example, I'm a huge fan of Bungie's Myth computer games, and one of the most enjoyable parts for me is the tracking of details which can go wrong, which leads to calculated risks, great challenges of trying to make the most of a situation even after something unexpected happens. The clearest example of which would be one of the most powerful character types, which are dwarves who use gunpowder about as effective as TFT grenades and petards, but with less predictable effects. Fuses fall out or snuff but might relight if a fire spreads their way, grenades are mis-thrown or mis-timed and bounce and roll in unpredictable ways, and go off at unpredictable times, and when they do, shrapnel and all nearby battlefield and environmental objects will be tossed around in logical but unpredictable ways, the results of which are interesting, rational, powerful, and yes, often extremely amusing. Moreover, my Myth mod makes the game more like TFT mechanics, which means making things even more unpredictable.

PvK