Re: (TFT) 18's & broken weapons

At 09:00 PM 2/24/04 -0500, ErolB1@aol.com wrote:
I'm just croggled at
the way you seem to strain at the gnat of a "break opponent's weapon" maneuver
while swallowing the camel of "weapon breaks on an 18."

I'd call an unbalanced "break weapon" maneuver the camel, and the "break on 18" the gnat.

This discussion has actually improved my opinion of the break on 18. For a game where players want simplicity, to the extent that they do without defensive effects of skill, I don't see any problem with it.

* I agree that TFT weapons are probably mostly of cheap or unremarkable quality unless Fine.

* The rules do take into account weapon quality.

* Rolling 18 means _something_ unusual happened which made the weapon unusable. Maybe it got stuck in something. Maybe it got put in a position where the foe could and did break it on purpose. Maybe it got swung into a pillar or boulder the wrong way. Maybe it got caught and twisted somewhere. Maybe it got dropped and flew somewhere or fell in a hole. Maybe possibly it actually broke while hitting the target or something ordinary. No one knows - you're playing TFT, so the rules aren't detailed enough to tell you besides the result.

PvK