Re: (TFT) 18's & broken weapons / weird stuff / variety of encounter. 2

> >Even poll axe play was considered to be just vigorous exercise.
>
> Interesting. You've not found authors with different opinions, though?
I've
> been picking away at Anglo's "The Martial Arts of Renaissance Europe",
> which is fascinating, and has many neat and interesting anecdotes and
> opinions, but so far the greatest impression I've had is that there were
> many strongly-argued opinions which are often contradictory or
over-stated.

There are indeed many differing opinions on combat, possibly the most
notable being Silver's objections to the rapier. But the opinion on using
weapons against armor seem to be pretty consistent. I should probably note
here that I'm relying on translations here, not modern author's opinions
(though they pretty much agree, too).

And I use Anglo's translation of Jeu de la Hache for teaching poll axe.

Neil Gilmore
raito@raito.com