Re: (TFT) stainless sword and pole arms

> Even poll axe play was considered to be just vigorous exercise.

You've mentioned this before, but I have a few doubts here. Primarily, it is
unlikely that something so cumbersome would have been used on the
battlefield if it were so useless. That just doesn't make sense. Also, would
you be willing to stand in a quality reproduction suit of plate and let
someone take a no holds barred swing at you with a decent pole arm
reproduction? I know I wouldn't! A sword swing maybe but not a pole arm. I
have seen pictures of repro great helms punctured just with warhammer
backspikes (I think the link is at myArmory.com); while not perfectly
scientific, it is plain that the potential is there.

If you want to try your luck, go ahead, but can I be named in your will to
get your arms collection...:-)

> > What would you say about Charles' comment about the modern steel sword
> > that snapped on the third tap in the video?
>
> Perhaps I'd amend that to be a properly made sword made from modern steel.

As would I :-). I was strictly referring to modern steels, since that was
the context of that part of the thread. Stainless isn't the only modern
steel! I had more in mind 1095, O-1, 5160, and similar alloys. Note that
stainless can be very good, it just doesn't work for swords. Now that I've
said that, there are certain ultra-hi-tech stainless alloys (Damasteel comes
to mind) that do have the best of both worlds, and can keep the grain size
down while still having a high chromium content. But that's really cutting
edge stuff that your average steel mill cannot make.