Re: (TFT) TFT Healing

In a message dated 9/11/2006 9:22:50 AM Central Daylight Time,
lifeisfun@aol.com writes:

>Please don't mistake my enthusiasm for my own viewpoint for an exibition of
"march-in-step" dogma.  Of course there are people whose standard for "fun"
>revolves around a different truth.  But, in my opinion, there are hundreds
of great games that focus on quick-reward.  In fact, I'd say that "quick
reward" is a
>liabitity to TFT, not a strength.  The online games do it so much better.
To me, it's the slow attention to detail and the complexity of a near death
challenge that
>makes Melee classic and interesting.

Whereas I find near death challenges to be boring. What I find interesting
are drawn out epic combats where it's *hard* to die, and where it takes time to
either kill or be killed.

Also, from my point of view there are lots and lots of games that focus on
the highly-lethal, and on the quick-kill. By the book Melee is one of them, but
I find it a fairly good base for modification.

>So, I hope I do not come across as saying that one way or the other is Bad
GMing.  Rather, I was trying to point out what I thought was good GMing.
Clearly, I
>like to find my own characters in an epic struggle where only a hero will
prevail.  And when the opponents fall quickly and easily, I am usually
dissapointed.

Um, claiming that X is "good GMing" does strongly imply that not-x is Bad
GMing. More importantly, there are many players who really really hate the kind
of GMing that's to your taste and that you call "good GMing." So it's much
better to talk about what works well for your style of play.

Anyway, my preference is for a mix of opponents, some who fall quickly and e
asily, and some who don't (with the first sort usually coming in large
numbers). And I like PCs who have great staying power; who are hard to kill and slow
to die. (And who show great competence - e.g. they're not hard to kill due to
being turtles with adjDx 5 and 10 points of armor.)

Erol K. Bayburt
Evil Genius for a Better Tomorrow