Re: (TFT) fiction copyrights

Who claims the right to the Tolkien materials anyway, and on what basis?
Seems to me that should have become public domain long ago, but then I'm
not a publishing corporation whose business is profitting forever from
others' creative works.

Orcs are so pervasive that it seems to me it might be a good case with
which to challenge the law. If in theory some corporation has the sole
right to orcs, but uncountable products have violated that, maybe it could
point out some problems in the laws. Or, not...