(TFT) Creating Magicl Items

Okay, I have an admission to make...I've never really had a handle no the math
for creating magical items. It may have been due to errata or just too much
alcohol...er...back in high school when I played but I never felt comfortable
with it. I would try and double this and multiply x 10 for that and couldn't
get my numbers right, especially for the costs.

Is it assumed that the ST per day rule for apprentices applies to wizards too?
Do you just divide the amount of ST by 25, then subtract 1 (for 1 wizard), to
determined how many apprentices you need? If you have to double this for the
spell, then double the ST, divide by 25, subtract 2 (for 2 wizards) and the
rest are apprentices? Otherwise, if you want to do it alone without
apprentices, you just ...uh...do what?

Lets say a lone wizards wants to create (1st enchantment) a serpent torc. It
normally takes 3 weeks with 75 ST per day. This would normally mean 1 wizard
and 2 apprentices for three weeks, right? So, if a lone wizard wants to do
this, he needs to account for 75 ST per day for 21 days or 1575 ST. Divide
1575 by 25 and you get 63, so it would take a lone wizard 63 days (9 weeks) to
cast a serpent torc. I suppose, if this is the first enchantment, that he
would still test weekly.

Okay, lets try another one with two spells and then cost it. A cloak with
Shapeshifting first then stone flesh second.

I. Team approach

a. Shapeshifting

1 Wizard and 6 apprentices 10 weeks to make.

b. Stone flesh

Normally would take 1 Wizard and 6 apprentices providing 175 ST per day for 5
weeks to make. Since it is the second spell, it takes 2 wizards and 12
apprentices providing 350 ST per day for 5 weeks.

I tried this on the Wizard Lab program from Branya and got a little confused.
The top window shows 15 weeks at a cost of $18,000.00. After I hit make, it
produced a window at the bottom that changed each time I did it. It usually
took longer to make but cost a lot less. Does anyone know why?

II. Solo

a. Shapeshifting: Would take 1 Wizard would take 70 weeks (175 ST x  10wks/70
days =12,250 ST/25 ST from wizard = 70 weeks/490 days) Another way is to say
it takes 7 wizards/apprentices 10 weeks to accomplish this, or 70 weeks worth
of work for one wizard.

b. Stone Flesh: Would take 1 Wizard 980 days/140 weeks to make:  (350 ST per
day x 10 wks/70 days (TIME doubled for not having 2 wizards)= 24,500 ST
total/25= 980 days/140 weeks).

III. Summary

So, a team approach could make this magical cloak with shapeshifting and stone
flesh in 15 weeks with a total ST expenditure of 24,500 or 980 wizards worth
of daily work.

Solo, the same would take 210 weeks (4 years) with a total ST expenditure of
36,750. The difference in ST is attributable to the extra time needed for the
solo wizard to do the work of 2 wizards on the Stone Flesh as the second
enchantment. A team of 1 wizard and 2 apprentices could do the same work in 18
weeks. By Mitra, pay for the apprentices!!

Q. Is this right? Should I have doubled the ST and the time on the Stone Flesh
for the solo wizard? I think I should have. The book is a little confusing.
The AW on page 30 says, "A lone mage, if he has time enough, can do anything a
team can do. If one wizard is putting a second spell on an item by himself, it
takes him twice as long.... Thus, his material AND APPRENTICE costs are the
same, but spread over more time" (Emphasis added). So does this mean the
wizard just naturally take longer because the daily ST has doubled or do you
double the time too?

Q. Is Shapeshifting self-powered or not?

Q. How do you price this? I didnt follow the Branya program. I started with
upper-class garment ($200), added Shapeshifting added Stone flesh. I kept
getting different pricing.

Sorry for the long post. Sometimes I'm a little too anal...ytic. ;-)
Thanks,
Aidan