(TFT) TSR and SPI

In a message dated 10/8/2007 12:41:20 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
tft-owner@brainiac.com writes:

> TSR's idiotic management chose to not honor the S&T subscriptions. Instead,
>  they offered some kind of modest discount on new subscriptions. I don't
know
>  anyone who resubscribed.

This is what I recall was TSR's offer to me at that time: two years for the
price of one for each magazine resubscribed plus a copy of the Ares and S&T tha
had been printed but not shipped by SPI. Since I had the relative good
fortune to have my subscription cease when SPI closed, I actually took them up
on
the offer. SPI had been on a good run at the time; the games in the pipeline
promised to be worth it no matter how TSR handled things after.

The subscription mistake was not the only problem. TSR did very limited
playtesting of the games. The attempt to produce issues without games while
charging full price and the decision to remove fantasy content from Ares ended
any
chance of TSR reclaiming a major portion of SPI's market. TSR should have been
able to outperform 3W's Wargamer magazine.

I feel old.