Re: (TFT) HTH simulation results (intermediate)

Quoting Cris Fuhrman <fuhrmanator@gmail.com>:

As for statistical outcomes, we suspected it makes sense for a ST 8 DX 16
dagger-wielder to engage a ST 16 DX 8 plate-wearer. The win outcome for the
dagger-wielder is nearly 50% when HTH is used, whereas it was very low when
traditional fighting occurs (roughly 4%).

I suspected the same, too. Given the that maximum regular damage for a dagger is
5, the plate stops all regular hits. The dagger wielder must roll double or
triple damage to actually do any damage, and the average damage for a triple
would be 7.5, which doesn't even trigger a DX penalty. Sure the plate wearer
also has to roll an auto-hit or better, because his adjDX is so low. But I'm
betting that the plate wearer has something bigger than a dagger to fight with. So the race is for the dagger guy to get in more double and triple-damage hits before the plate wearer gets a decent auto-hit or better. Not such good odds.
You get them into a furball, and now they both have daggers. Not only is the
average damage up over the plate absorbtion, as you point out, but the
plate-wearer doesn't hit that much better, and has a wimpier weapon.
(and hey, if they fall down in HTH, is the DX -4 for being prone and +4 for
HTH?)

Neil Gilmore
raito@raito.com