(TFT) Magic and Physics (was: Re: TFT Digest V3 #1159)

At 17:39 -0400 4/8/09, Richard wrote:
1. Magic "works". Work is a measurement found within physics and is based on the metaphysicial system of the moment. We don't have any evidence that magic performs work. In fact, it seems to defy the laws of physics.

I accidentally used a word with a loaded connotation - "work". I meant to say, magic is effective, operates successfully; not "does work" in the sense of "force acting through distance".

I certainly agree that the energy (and work) balance for a lot of spells cannot be successfully derived using thermodynamics, so it's very likely that thermodynamics cannot describe magic. However there are quantum phenomena, like zero-point energy, that look to my somewhat uneducated eye like they could be made to provide plenty of energy for the spells *if* the energy-releasing reactions could be made to happen far more often (or less often) than they statistically do under normal conditions.

Heck, many of the elements we are made of have half-lives. If I could cause all of the Carbon-14 in my body to decay right *now* instead of waiting for a 5000-year half-life, I bet I'd have *plenty* of energy for a fireball spell. They don't do that under normal conditions. If magic makes them do that, it could be seen to have tapped into a source of energy that is not in the normal, thermodynamic energy balance.

2. Magic is makes the improbable happen. Again, this presupposes that we know what is probable by founding probability on our current laws of physics and mathematics.

Yup. See above; Carbon-14 decays with a *very* predictable half-life. But the atoms are independent systems; there's nothing keeping them from all going off at once. The fact that Carbon-14 dating works (well) shows that we do, in fact, know what is "probable" under normal physics and thermodynamics, and we make use of that knowledge all the time. (Depends a little bit on what you mean by "probable", but I feel pretty comfortable saying that a half-life description that has worked in *every* experiment for the past couple of centuries is highly "probable" to work next time as well.)

3. Energy is conserved according to the law of conservation of energy when magic is used to do anything, such as freeze water. But, magic might in fact not conform to this law.

Definitely true! But, if physics (including quantum physics) and magic are going to be consistent, I think at some level energy conservation (within quantum limitations) has to kick in. But I think quantum physics allows enough latitude for most "magic" effects to take place - *if* the normal statistical limits on how large ensembles of atoms (etc.) react can be somehow waived. I think thermodynamics, because it is based on the idea that the statistics of large ensembles are inviolable, will not allow "magic" effects to take place, but then I also think quantum physics violates thermodynamics at the molecular level, so I'm OK with that.

6. Imbue with Magic: Magic item creation appears to somehow instantiate an object with magic and properties of that magic permanetly. Some magic items even somehow power themselves. This strength-battery concept isn't explained. Maybe the magical energy comes from somewhere and is collected, or maybe grows organically, or maybe it is replenished by other means. In any event, it seems that magic can be put into a physicial form and bound to an object.

Well, see:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radioisotope_thermoelectric_generator

or

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Birefringent

or, for that matter,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battery_(electricity)

And, you know those speed-limit signs on some neighborhoods? Solar array on top, battery inside, radar speed detector, LED readout showing you your speed and turning red if you are above the speed limit? Is that "magic"? Where does the energy for that come from? (I know, we both happen to know that answer.)

I think Clarke's third law of prediction applies here: Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clarke's_three_laws

Anyway, the point of this is to try to work out a path by which Jay can (theoretically, anyway, if not practically) write a "Rulebook of Magic" consistent with his "Rulebook of physics". But as I said before, I don't know how sanguine I am about the result being playable. At the least, it looks like every wizard player will also have to be a good quantum-physics practitioner.