Re: (TFT) Wishes & Dimensions

Interesting idea. Personally I reject the idea of infinite parallel dimensions where everything that could happen, does.  I'd reject it out of pure ego if that was enough.  After all, such a metaphysicial reality would diminish our own importance to such an extent that existance seems like a waste of time.  But, the more compelling argument to me comes from continuity of objects.

If all possibilities exist, then there is a world somewhere where in the very next instant, I simply burst into flames without any clear .... aaaaaahhhhhaaaaaaaaaa...!

----- Original Message ----
From: "slid81554@mypacks.net" <slid81554@mypacks.net>
To: tft@brainiac.com
Sent: Wednesday, April 8, 2009 5:31:18 PM
Subject: (TFT) Wishes & Dimensions

Doesn't a wish simply shift the caster into an alternate parallel dimension where the requested wish is true and then leave them there? Facetious answer, true, but not really far off from the way I always interpreted it and most other magical spells. Wishes, conjuring, illusions, summoning, alterations, dimensional shifting, they're all just doorways to different dimensions.  Other than wishes, they all involve only temporary incursions.

Hmm, with a little thought, I bet it could easily be extended to permanent magic items as well (an interdimensional "weave" surrounding the item in question) In fact, this approach is one of the only ways I can even accept the concept of Illusion spells at all. But that's just me..

Thorsz' razor: Why have more than one rationale for a game effect when one will suffice?

- Marc