Re: (TFT) Jobs table

Quoting "David O. Miller" <davidomiller@verizon.net>:
Then we started playing. The first three hours was all about how much
cargo could we carry and how big a ship we needed and how far could we
go to get the maximum yield for our investment. Some math nerd whipped
out a calculator and started doing algebra, and two players got into
an argument with the referee trying to prove that their interpretation
of the economics rules were correct.

Sounds like my first C&S outing.
The point of this story is that in all honesty I, in over 30 years of
playing TFT, have never even read through the economic rules more than
a casual glance. IMHO they appear to be dry, counter productive to
both creativity and what the game is, at heart, all about. They are
simply not needed. I've often wondered why they were even put in there
in the first place. (Most likely because they were trying for a
complete RPG package and felt like they had to pad the rules out a
bit. They were competing with D&D at the time after all.) And, for
what it's worth, let me point out that Steve Jackson didn't even write
the economics rules. As he mentions 75% were done by a playtester
named Draper Kauffman, Jr.

There are of more use to the GM. But I don't find them coutnerproductive.
The same can be said for other elements of ITL. I don't really use,
nor rely on, the random stocking tables, trap tables, guilds, weight
carried and I especially don't use Prootwaddles.

There's a bunch of milieu stuff I don't use (it's not Cidri), but I do use Prootwaddles...

.. as a threat. The again, there's a bunch I do use, like the Thorsz.
Neil Gilmore
raito@raito.com