Re: (TFT) Adding a Kicker die to TFT. - Patterns on dice.

I find colored dice can be useful in many ways.

For example, I have 3 black and 3 purple dice. I can roll them all at once, and get two rolls I can use to do two things at once (I don't have to take time to roll twice), such as:

* Maybe someone needs to check on both DX and IQ to avoid doing something clumsy and/or stupid.

* An "opposed" or contest roll between two two characters can be done at once (happens in GURPS a lot, and TFT players complain about some GURPS mechanics requiring too many die-rolls, but some you can do at the same time).

If I have 3 white, a black and a purple, then I can roll them all and the players can't tell by how many I rolled how hard the roll I am making is (which could be audible even behind a screen). This is another way to prevent out-of-character clues, especially if you habitually roll several dice even when you're only checking fewer than you're rolling.

Another idea is having one die of a unique color for everyone in the current party. You can then roll them all to see if there's a chance of something rare happening to someone, to get really fast results. So if you figure there's a 1 in six chance someone might have a chance to meet and recognize a particular person in a location, you could roll the party pile once, and if anyone's colored die gets a 1, then you give those characters a regular spot/IQ roll to see if they recognized the person they got a chance to see.

Etc.

The combinatorics as described in the "mayhem dice" can be interesting, but one should be conscious of the statistics, which can get quite complicated when you do that. But it can be a way to add sliver chances for things, that you can't do with simple totals.