Re: (TFT) Re: New Armor in TFT. -- Meg's thoughts.

On 2016-05-24, at 1:53 PM, Meg Tapley wrote:

> What if, instead of having each type of armor have separate Threshold and No Negative numbers, stronger characters just take progressively less penalties for armor?
>
> So maybe something like: each type of armor has its associated DX penalty, per rules. Stronger figures take progressively less DX penalty. So, for purpose of illustration, say a ST 12 figure takes 1 point less penalty, so they can wear cloth armor with no DX penalty, or leather with only a -1, or chain with -2, etc. Or ST 18 takes 3 fewer DX penalty, so anything up to chain has no penalty, and plate-mail is at -3. You'd still end up with some ST's being "more optimum" than others, but maybe you could stagger DX penalties offset with MA penalties offset to get a smoother "optimization curve".
>
> - Meg

Hi Meg,
  I was trying to keep the system near what ITL had, except I
wanted to stretch the point where weak armor could be worn
easily, much lower than the 18 ST given in ITL page 8.

  However, your idea is REALLY simple.   I'm tempted to chuck
all of my stuff and just use your idea.

  So the biggest penalties that armor can give you is currently
-11 for my heavy plate.  So...

ST 12 gives everyone one points less penalty on all armor.
ST 14 gives everyone two points less penalty on all armor.
ST 16 gives everyone 3 points less penatlty on all armor.
ST 32 gives everyone 11 points less penalty on all armor.

This would mean...

Armor type:		No Negative Number:
Cloth			12 ST
Leather			16 ST
Boiled L. 		20 ST
Scale			24 ST
Half Plate		28 ST
Plate			30 ST
Hvy Plate		32 ST

(The no negatives number go up by 4 ST at first because both
DX and MA penalties are increasing.  When MA penalties max
out at -4 MA, the No Neg # only goes up by 2 ST per armor
level.)

So ALL armor would start getting easier to wear at 12 ST and
every two ST above that, it gets 1 penalty easier.

I would not stagger DX and MA penalties.  You still get magic
numbers (in the system above, even numbers for ST is just
better), but worse of all, the system gets wonky if you have armor
that gives you normal MA penalties but no DX penalties.  (Such
as what you might get if you buy fine armor.)

I think that Meg's system is less realistic, but it is MUCH, MUCH
simpler.

Warm regards, Rick.