From: Rick Smith <rick_ww@lightspeed.ca>
To: tft@brainiac.com
Sent: Saturday, November 5, 2016 1:28 AM
Subject: Re: Magic Item creation: Notes D thru H. Diseconomy of scale

Hi all, Jeff.
  In cannon TFT, there was a monolithic 'Wizard's Guild'.  This made it
easier for SJ to write rules.  All wizards everywhere follow these
guidelines.  But I do not consider a giant wizard's guild to be the ideal
social structure to make an interesting world.

  My campaigns tend to have smaller, competing wizard schools.

  So IF you are in a city with a wizard's guild, OR a large school, then
yes, they MIGHT be able to maintain a stable of apprentices whom you
can easily draw from.

  However, if any of those things are not true, or you are in a smaller
community, a convenient pool of apprentices may not be around and
longer projects would have certain convienences.

  I have no objection to campaigns that want to have a monolithic
wizard's guild, but people should not assume that that is the only
social organization which is possible with wizards.  I've not used it
in any of my campaigns for decades.

  Warm regards, Rick.