(TFT) angels

> I believe Tolkien once stated that Gandalf the Grey was himself
intended to be an angel.

I think all of the wizards in Tolkien (all eight of them) were Maiar - a
form of angel for the Valar.

I think the idea of angels is appealing - witness the Xena and Hercules
episodes that used them. But its interesting to note that the way they used
them in those shows were as "villians". Precisely because of the reasons
you've stated. They basically have their own agendas and feelings about
what they are going to do.

So even if you do allow angels to be summoned, they are certainly not going
to be at your bidding. You'd probably have to be pretty well-aligned with
whatever it is the gods want done. And then, (as a GM playing the angel)
you have to ask "Why dont you do it?".   I mean, if the angels are going to
fight on your side, why would you have to summon them? If they're not, it's
probably because the "grand plan" is to let the humans work this out for
themselves.

Okay, well then maybe you only allow angels to be summoned by high level
Theologians who've kept the faith, etc. But if the problem is *really* that
big. Wouldn't a GM just not bother with a spell and allow it?

If a person makes a deal with a demon, they take their chances and it's on
their concscionce. But I don't see angels having the same sort of
trade-off. If you make a deal with an angel, you'd better be prepared for
the 'divine' attention you asked for!

Michael