(TFT) TFT: Wizards' Guild Membership

   Wow!  I finally got a TFT Digest!  I haven't received one since April
23rd.  I've been keeping current on stuff through the archives alone.  Glad
Joe was able to solve whatever problem it was (Thanks Joe.)

   I've compiled all of the answers to the question: Why should one join the
Wizards' Guild?  Of course this just leads to more questions . . .

THE SERVICE OR BENEFIT IS ONLY AVAILABLE TO MEMBERS
   Get to be involved in influencing matters (Makes sense.  But what
matters?  How?)
   Get kickbacks (For what reason?  And how much?)
   Be involved with the latest magic technology (Makes sense.  What game
mechanics are used?)
   You stay current on magic tech so there's no penalty for spell research
(Makes sense.  What is the penalty?)
   Earn 10% extra experience (WOW!!!  Sign me up!  Can Heroes join too?  But
what is the reality justification for this?)
   Only place to learn spells (Why?)
   Only place to learn high IQ spells (Why is that?)
   Decreased chance of spell failure (Why?  And what is the penalty?)
   Legal assistance in cases involving magic (Makes sense.  Just like the
NRA.)
   Opportunity to study and rest with peers (Couldn't one do this outside of
the aegis of the guild?  The Guild doesn't have a monopoly on socializing.)

THE ABILITY TO USE MAGIC IS ILLEGAL TO NON-MEMBERS
   They kill non-members who practice magic (Makes sense if the Guild is
powerful enough to avoid secular prosecution, or if they /are/ the secular
authority)

THE BENEFIT IS CHEAPER TO MEMBERS (OR MORE EXPENSIVE FOR NON-MEMBERS)
   Cheaper services for members (Makes sense; economies of scale and all.
How much cheaper?)
   Cheaper rate on spells (Ditto)
   Increased wizardly income (Why does a Guild member earn more than a
non-Guild wizard?)

THERE IS NO DIFFERENCE IN BENEFIT BETWEEN MEMBERS AND NON-MEMBERS
   Learn spells (Certainly there are non-Guild wizards out there to learn
from)
   Have magic items identified (Certainly there are non-Guild wizards with
the Analyze Magic spell)
   Have magic items made (Certainly there are non-Guild wizards who create
magic items)
   Hobnob with the rich and famous (Certainly the Guild doesn't have a
monopoly on this!)
   Be rewarded for researching a new spell (Why should the Guild care where
a new spell comes from as long as it works?)
   Be offered just-researched spells to learn (Certainly there are non-Guild
wizards willing to teach their new spells)
   Use of books and information (Why should the Guild be the only ones with
a magic library?)
   Buy and sell strange items which only wizards use (Certainly a wizard's
chest and a magic lab could be put together without Guild help)

Dave Seagraves
Seagraves Mutual Fund   dseagraves@austin.rr.com   1 (512) 255-2760
Current fund value: $1.75 per share.