Re: (TFT) TFT: Wizard's Guild Membership

From: "Dave Seagraves" <dseagraves@austin.rr.com>
Date: Wed, 24 May 2000 00:51:43 -0500

Has anyone actually given some thought to what benefit there is to being
a member of the Wizard's Guild?  What good is it for a character to be a
member?

Myself I could never figure out where the nicely organized price lists come from. It would be a strange thing to go into a medieval tavern and have the prices framed and mounted on the wall over the bar. A certain amount of role-playing is in order to find the price of anything. A guild like the mercenary, or thieves guild may have price lists of weapons or protection. This seems to me to be a valid expression of a guild. Not price fixing, but price listing. The availability and price of all goods or sevices offered. A guild also ensures there will be a large supply of raw materials. In the case of the wizards' guild there is the legendary magic item creation table. As one friend put it, who had left TFT and then come back 'TFT had a great magic system.' It was the first game to put any science into the creation of magic items. And the list has cost, ingredients, components, fatigue, all the particulars. The list also represents what the guild will, and will not do. Curse is a cheep, permanent type spell, that has to be removed by remove thrown spells. No where on the magic item list is there a 'cursed item' selection. It isn't that the wizards guild can't do it. It's that they won't, and they don't want people to know about it. As far as advantage to a specific character who joins the wizards guild I refer everyone to this wonderful post by Dave Seagraves. http://www.brainiac.com/tft/archive/0001/msg00062.html A new type of price list, this one pays the players. It provides characters with adventures other than killing people for their silver. It also encourages players to by books and scrolls. This is exactly the type of price list the guild would produce.

    David Michael Grouchy II