Re: (TFT) Guild membership

From: WarPlayer@aol.com
Subject: (TFT) Guild membership
Date: Fri, 2 Jun 2000 00:28:04 EDT
Hey there.
What do you think might happen to a person who hired a non-guild wizard? Do you suppose mysterious misadventures might befall his business, home family, and even himself? Try getting a job as a contractor if you are not a member of the union, um, guild even today in some towns. What happens? No one will hire you openly, for fear of retaliation by the union / guild. Plus, the union /guild holds its members to certian standards of pay, treatment, and quality. Now apply this to an adventurer-wizard. He has the experience and memory to learn that spell he has wanted for two years. But 99% of the wizards in the area are union members. Where will he learn it? And since he can't get work as a wizard, to make money, he has to do manual labor, like cleaning stalls. (There is no stall-cleaners guild.) Just apply union politics to the campaign, and every wizard will eventually join the union, if only to try and change his "bad luck".>

I agree with this view of the long arm of the Guild (union). I wouldn't go so far as to say that a non-Guild wizard wouldn't get employed because in my continent on CIDRI (thus my viewpoint), society is a little to chaotic and feudal to completely fall under a guilds auspices. But the guild could make things difficult.

I have fallen sway to Heinlein's "Magic Incorporate" which in modern times has magic as an art/science studied in college. One needs to be certified if one wants work or status.

Lets say a contractor (who is a mundane and not a wizard) uses magic to help with building. He has fallen under bad luck. He suspects magic. If he goes to the guild they might help him. But not being a wizard, he doesn't know that this guild considers curses as accepted magic if it is filed with the Guild ahead of time. Since this was the case, they inform him that there seems to be nothing they can do. Enter F. Ajaye, attorney at law. He happens to be from the jungle colonies and is also a practicing witch doctor. (Definitely not with the local WIZ guild, but a member of the Blackfoot Medicine Men's Association in Darkest 'Frica.) He snoops around, finds a few bugs, a few talismans. He gives our contractor an amulet against curses. Because the witch doctor cannot use WIZ Guild wizards to sets up wards against earth elementals, he hires some non-guild wizards to do it. Now the lawyer can start investigating the WIZ guild, pulling permits, etc and files a statement of inquiry with the Royal Keeper of the Guilds. Though the WIZ guild would like to terminate this non-WIZ guild wizard, they do not dare. 1) It is officially logged as being investigated and 2) The Blackfoot Medicine Men's Association, though far away, is larger and more powerful than this local WIZ guild. The risk is too great. The WIZ Guild settles out of court for this knowing violation of a townsmans rights, lifts all the curses on the contractor and promises to provide levitate and weather spells for a month.

ah, I'm not sure what that story shows... but it was fun to speculate.

Oh, yea. The Wizard's College is a place to learn magic theory and the practical arts. A Wizard's Guild is an organization that can teach magic because it KNOWS it. It will try to provides up to date information on magic goings on. I like the idea that it would try to buy a bulk of raw ingredients. It will probably try to rank the ability of its members: Mage, Master Magician, Journeyman (in other business the craftsman took his cart and went from village to village to perform his profession, thus 'Journey Man'), Apprentice, Novice or some equivalent ranks. If it was like other Guilds, it would set some standards for these ranks. The Master Magician would become a master of magic when he performed his master work and presented it to the Wizard's Hall. There he would receive his hallmark (if it was deemed exemplary and be entered into the Master's Scroll. Does this affect his salability and prestige? Yes! Would a regular player character care if their wizard was a Master Magician or not? No! Can the son-of-a-bitch throw a fireball or knock that lock or 'persuade' the guard to look the other way is usally all that is demanded. Do the PCs even show any respect due his station to this Master Magician who is somehow in this party? Right, you're on guard duty tonight from 3-4am and try and control your summoned gargoyle; he crapped shale all over our bedding this morning.

I, too seemed to have digressed.  But in a nutshell...

oh well.  more on this at another time.

Hail Melee

John Paul