Re: (TFT) A little moralistic digression...

From: JodyM529@aol.com
Subject: Re: (TFT) A little moralistic digression...
Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2000 22:47:42 EDT

In a message dated 6/15/00 3:08:56 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
hailmelee@hotmail.com writes:

<< Why you subscribe or why you lurk or why you want to participate?

JPB:

Actually, this is an example of why I subscribe AND lurk BUT rarely
participate.  I'm afraid I just haven't the stamina to personally
duke it out in the endless debates.

Lurking is fine. I lurked the archives (read them straight thru) for four months before I was ready to subscribe and participate. Some of us like to rant and rave in between our posting of rules and variations.

For all that tho' I have to say I've seen some
incredibly good rules ideas posted on this list (which is why I
CONTINUE to subscribe and lurk). It's just that I hate to see the good ideas all locked up. To say that this whole idea of
creativity versus theft in the fantasy gaming genre is a complex,
multi-dimensional issue is easily the understatement of the year.
 I could blab on for about 10 or so pages on that topic alone but
to save anyone actually reading this all the associated eye
strain I'll just confine it to a few comments.  What the hell is true
originality? Is it possible (or even desirable) in this genre at this point?. I can't recall one idea I've seen printed in any FRPG
(and I have the obligatory closet full) that I haven't seen printed
in some form somewhere else.

I personally think RQ (a more neutral example, hopefully) is an excellent and very imaginative concept. But is this game original? Maybe the question should be, 'could RQ have possibly been written before D&D?' I think the answer is no.

I agree. It took a group of miniatures players a leap of faith to follow their GameMaster from a napoleonics game to a medeival miniatures game set up in a very moody castle environment of Blackmoor. The mood and the environment shifted the players attitude. No longer were they playing with troops, they were exploring the bowels of the castle. Magic and races were added to the rules. One could start personally identifying with the gamepiece & stats for it (no longer a troop, but a character.) In the enthusiasm of the play, miniatures might be forgotten as one acted out the situation, etc. It took the miniatures gamers Dave Arneson, Robert Kuntz, Gary Gygax and others to explode and alteration game into an industry.

It's not like that's a conclusion I'm really
delighted with but look at RQ's systems and D&D's and tell me RQ didn't
'borrow' quite a bit. What constitutes a rip-off is really in the eye of the beholder. As far as I know TSR never sued Chaosium but what if , instead, RQ first came out in the mid-late 80s when TSR was at the height of its reign of
terror?  Think Chaosium would have stood a chance then?  Should the final
arbiter of elusive originality really be the size of your enemy's war chest?

Jody