Re: (TFT) How to revive TFT without invoking a Summon Lawyer spell

Brad writes . . .

> Depends on your aim - to get TFT into the public domain or write a new
> game.

   To write a new game.  I guess if you GM long enough you eventually reach
a point when running your campaign based on your own RPG might be easier
than having to look up or guess at someone else's rules.  That's one of the
reasons why I'm taking the trouble.

> It is reprehensible to steal someone else's work, but you must keep in
> mind what the work is in this case.  In a game, the work is the descrip-
> tion of the rules and the examples, illustrations, and fictional context.
> The abstract rules are not part of that work, despite the fact that a
> person spent considerable effort to come up with them.

   I see what you're saying here, but I recognize that it can be just as
much work to design a game as to put it on paper and communicate it to
gamers.  I respect Steve's writing ability, but I respect his ability to
design a game even more.  Specifically, to not give Steve credit for his
/design/ work on /Melee/ is simply wrong.

> There are dice in the character creation process, but you can easily
> factor them out.  There is a downloadable version on the web site that
> contains a subset of the complete rulebook.  The three supplements are
> $9 each (combat, sorcerer, and simply roleplaying).

   I'll have to check out the download, thanks.

> Thus the name.  Interesting.  I assume that character diversity is
> therefore a purely role-playing concept?

   Actually no.  Almost everything -- basic stats, advantages, skills,
powers, whatever -- are treated sort of like optional rules.
   For example, Strength is a "Modifier" (i.e. advantage/disadvantage) that
you can buy for your character.  If a character doesn't have Strength listed
on his character sheet then he's assumed to have a Strength of zero.  Almost
everything with a value of zero is normal human average (whatever that is).
So if a given character has an average Strength, why bother listing it on
the character sheet?  Ideally only numbers which vary from the average are
listed.
   A side-effect is that novice players don't get intimidated by all the
numbers on a character sheet.  They can learn the game bit by bit, while
still being able to take advantage of a wealth of individual rules as they
learn of them.  Essentially if you know how to talk, do simple math, and
roll two dice then you know how to play /Zilch/.
   This opens up the possibility of introducing new players to a campaign in
the middle of a session.  For example:

Newbie: "Say, what are you guys playing?"
GM: "It's a fantasy swords & sorcery campaign.  The characters are all
mercenaries battling a hoard of goblins.  Wanna join in?"
Newbie: "Sure."
GM: ::hands new player a blank sheet of paper:: "Here's your character.
Have a seat.  What do you do?"

Dave Seagraves
Seagraves Mutual Fund   dseagraves@austin.rr.com   1 (512) 255-2760
Current fund value: $1.83 per share.